split vs regular find new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pggeek

Reaction score
Ok I am new to diving and don't have much experience with fins. I got a pair of scuba pro split find then on the last trip I switched with my girlfriend who has traditional fins. I found the traditional fins harder to move with I used allot more air but I could go faster and get into a rithum better.

My Splits were much easer to move through the water and you could maneuver much better with them, it felt like nothing was on your legs. but I felt I couldn't go as fast. Or really get a slow kicking rithem going. I also felt that I couldn't go as fast if I needed to like in a current.

Is this correct is there some happy medium. I do prefer the splits but are there any that are maybe a bit faster or stiffer?

Like you know what....everyone has an opinion on split fins. so here is mine.

I own a pair of tusa zooms and a pair of mares avantis...and i havent used the tusa's since i got the mares.

a split fin demands a short flutter style kick to get max effectiveness....so if you use a wide kick style...or...kick out side your slip stream....not good.

as far as current goes...thats the reason i bought another pair of fins....the tusa split just couldnt hack it. i went diving in barbados a couple weeks back and there was a lad from london uk on the boat with some other splits and he couldnt beat the current. while i coached him on the proper kicking style...and he improved...he just couldnt beat the stiff current that day...while the rest of us had no problems

i have no doubts that a bunch will get on here and say they have no problems with them in stiff currents and to that i say...great. but i do....so i will stick with the non split fins for now.

as for tiredness....i dont have problem with that...but then i dont try to zoom all the time i am down either..,..not implying you do...but speed will cost you air and muscle....

i am waiting for the day (wont make it...too old) they come out with those jets you strap on your legs and rocket around underwater...cool!!

Hi pggeek,

As Rich said, pick an opinion, from "they are great" to "they stink"
(or worse), and, if you do enough "searches", you will find a lot of people who would agree with that opinion.

I was using US divers "Blades" fins and I loved them. My problem was that, while on vacation, at the end of 4 dives a day, my old legs were tired. I switched to the split fins and don't have that problem.
I too have found that a short flutter kick works with split fins, and had some success using a modified frog kick.

Regarding your question, I have a question: What color Scuba Pro twinjets do you have? The gray ones are much more flexible than the black. I tried the gray and didn't like them, then I tried the black and have enjoyed using them.
If you have the gray fins, I might suggest the black. If you have the black, I'm guessing you'll need to go to a different brand.

Good luck with your choice, and remember "the best fins for you are the ones that work best "for you.

Take care,
Mike

hey pggeek, I m new to diving as well...I recently got a Mares Volo race(yet to try it out! ), apparently based on my research... these fins come highly recommended....well...not very convincing, But I tried on split fins as well as the normal ones...though I find the split ones easier to handle but the normal ones tend to be more powerful once u get the hang of it.

I used split fins for about 8 or 9 months, didn't mind them at all. I had no problem keeping up with other divers and even did well in currents. But once I got my drysuit.... I had to work MUCH harder to just keep up... And in a current.... NO way. So I bought a pair of jet fins and like the way that they preformed in my drysuit so much that I didn't even bother to change back to my old splits.. Plus once you do get a bit more advanced in diving, you will find that so of the other style of kicks are less efficient with the splits. What works for you, works for you.

I have a pair of Mares Avanti Quatro fins. They are sort of stiff and a little heavier compared to other fins I have tried, but they accelerate like a Corvette! I can really jam in those things. Also, I can use alternate kicks (besides flutter) and they work really well.

I have also tried my friend's Cressi Master Frogs and they work really well too. Both the Mares and the Cressi are regular (paddle) fins, not split fins.

Mug Shoemaker once bubbled...
hey pggeek, I m new to diving as well...I recently got a Mares Volo race(yet to try it out! ), apparently based on my research... these fins come highly recommended....well...not very convincing, But I tried on split fins as well as the normal ones...though I find the split ones easier to handle but the normal ones tend to be more powerful once u get the hang of it.

i will seond that, although from my G/F recomendation, before she used the volo i would always have about 10 bar more left at the end of the dive, after she switched she had the extra 10 bar.

pggeek once bubbled...
I do prefer the splits but are there any that are maybe a bit faster or stiffer?
The Atomic Aquatics split fins are among the stiffest and fastest.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I swear by and wont dive without my Blue Appollo Bio-fins. After Using several different styles and brand including twin-jets, Quattros, volos, etc. I swear that the appollo spilt fins offer the best of both worlds. They give you the easy cruising and moneverability of other split fins but also are stiff enough to use in strong currents. When i went to palua we dove several sights that had extreme current. When we got the blue corner and had to set our reef hooks several divers who where wearing twin jets where unable to swim against the curent to hook up where i had no prob whatsoever. They where swept out past the corner into the blue and boy did they miss an awesome dive. We had over thirty sharks and huge schools of barricuda cruising around along with a cameo appearance of a huge blue marlin and some tuna. Well anyways you will find many people who are just as passionate about "there" fins as i am about my appollos. The bottom line is that you have to find the fin that suits you best.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom