SSi "advanced open water course" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msilve

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
One of the local dive shops in my area in North NJ is offering an advanced open water course and promises SSI aow certification after the course. My issue and i don't know how this is possible is because the course only gives 6 or 7 dives, yet this isn't in accordance with SSI's 20 dives from ow to aow. Has anyone heard about this? I don't want to commit the $ to this before knowing it is or is not legitimate.
Thanks!

Well, you're correct that the SSI Advanced cert is issued after a total of 24 logged dives (and four specialty courses). Training dives for the courses can be combined to some extent (for example, low viz with nav), although six training dives for four specialties does sound a tad light. Could still be legit. The rest of the dives (24-5-6=13) would be for you to execute on your own with buddies, before, during, or after the specialty training.

As far as "promising" certification (you might be paraphrasing), this is contingent on successful completion of the training objectives, at least in my world. I offer candidates more training if they need it. It should be about creating good divers, not just issuing cards.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

PS. Just looked at your profile. Have you considered adding the Deep Diving specialty to your course work? It's pretty handy if you're going for wrecks.

Yep. I'm definitely going to look into doing Deep and Nitrox during this summer. In September, I'm doing Nav, Night and wreck (I love that my college has this program through an LDS).

Another question, Is it extremely important to do Nitrox through SSI as the LDS near my home doesn't offer it, but there is an LDS that offers it through NAUI, would that work?

Nitrox is pretty straight forward. You can get it with NAUI and get a really good course. I'd do it.

The advanced open water course through SSI includes both the dives and book work, as well as a minimum number of logged dives (24). Each of the specialities will depend upon how well you do with the dives. A reputable instructor will not "pass" you until you have mastered the skills. Some students have no problems navigating, and others require quite a few dives to get reasonable at navigating. Nitrox is a very good course to take, and you can do your courses through different certification agencies, however you can't do a couple of NAUI specilaties and then do a couple through SSI to get your AOW.

SSI AOW in 6 or 7 dives? It sounds like their intention is to give you a piece of plastic for the lowest possible commitment in time, effort and dives. That's ok if you just want the piece of plastic for your wallet. It's not so ok if you actually want the skills, experience and knowledge that the training should represent.

I tend to look for scuba course providers who offer more than the bare minimum. That shows a commitment to training high quality divers, rather than just issuing certifications.

SSI's course's are based on experience and education. To earn your Advanced Card through SSI you will need to complete 4 specialty courses. This should be done in eight dives. Two for each specialty course. Some combination of dives is possible (a deep dive from a boat could count towards your deep specialty and your boat specialty) - most prefer not to combine dives..... You also need to have 24 logged dives. If you do not meet the minimum number of dives at the end of the course, you need only keep diving until you meet the criteria, then your instructor will confer your Advanced Cert. The classes are the education, the logged dives, experience. My guess is your shop will give you the education, and wait for your dive experience to catch up. This is very common in the SSI world....
Hope this helps

thanks everyone for all the help! and i think im going to pass on that course and continue doing specialties separately. Does anyone know a good SSI dive shop in North NJ because im home from school for the next few months and probably wont be going out to my normal shop on Long Island?

Back
Top Bottom