SSI Class - Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 50% off groupon actually means that the merchant makes slightly less than 25% of the normal price of the course.

We have had people wanting us to match Groupon prices in which case we would have made 50% of the normal price of the course. We turned them down stating that we could not provide quality instruction at 50% much less 25%.

Groupon recently lost a class action lawsuit because merchants would not honor the deals that they contracted with Groupon.

We paid $139 for the book, classroom session and the pool sessions. (the certification dives at the quarry was another $180)

Breakdown hour-wise.
6 hours of classroom
12 hours in the pool

Groupon Link (For $139, you get admission for one to a Basic Open-Water course, a pre-requisite to open-water certification (a $350 value))
Scuba Hut of Maryland Deal of the Day | Groupon Baltimore

URL of dive shop: Scuba Hut of Maryland
Instructor (also owner): Malcolm

So you paid $139, they told all seven to take it again at additional cost and they didn't want your $180 for open water dives?

This is really odd. If it was one or two people I'd say you have an instructor who cares about your safety. For 7, something is really wrong with either his teaching techniques or his business morals.

If it was me, I'd look into doing an open water referral either on vacation or with another dive shop. If they accept you and you get certified, then you got you $139 worth. If they evaluate you and really do say you aren't ready for open water then the instructor didn't do his job and I'd protest the $139 charge.

Either way, this LDS has ruined his cred with 7 new divers who will talk to countless other divers. How an LDS can be that short sighted is beyond me.

Some prepaid the $180, not sure if they will ever see their money again. To retake the entire course they instructor offered for $50. (seems a bit weird)

I dont know if this adds anything to this, but the group of students were from a variety of backgrounds. (military, surfer, grad student, programmer, etc.)

I understand your point but that ship sailed when the LDS decided to market a Groupon. Don't blame the consumer for taking him up on his offer. BTW, I'm pretty sure that no groupon or open water class ever has the condition of "must by dive gear from us" on it.

We have had people wanting us to match Groupon prices in which case we would have made 50% of the normal price of the course. We turned them down stating that we could not provide quality instruction at 50% much less 25%.

Dive shops agree to do Groupon offers with two main hopes:
1. It is a loss leader to get the student into the shop and hopefully buy from us and become a long term customer.
2. A lot of people buy Groupons and then don't use them. This helps make up for the low price for the ones that do.

Therefore, a shop cannot be expected to match a Groupon offer to individuals because the shop is not getting either of those two benefits when that happens.

If you do a Groupon offer with the hopes of gaining long term customers and then screw them over when they show up, you haven't quite grasped the concept.

No way in heck I can see all 7 not being ready and if that were the case I am sure that most, if not all, would KNOW that they were having problems. No way a good instructor leaves 7 people in the dark as to how they are doing and then just fails them when all is said and done. If I were in that class I might just be contacting the others and then as a group confronting this guy. If we weren't satisfied with his response (ie he didnt make this right) I would then contact an attorney as a group.

Am I seeing something right? You have to retake the entire course, including the book work/classroom portion?

I have yet (and we are talking about 20+ years of certification) to come across a training facility that claimed that they would not do whatever it takes, and even extra sessions, to get a student to complete the program. Barring absolute and total failure by the student (and here we are talking the whole class) - this STINKS!!!!! This guy is a scammer!!!!! Contact the certifying agency!!!!

Lets think about it - if the whole class "failed", either they are all really bad (and the odds are astronomical of that) or this guy is incompetent or a total rip off (and I'm leaning to the latter)!!!!!

Perhaps someone could ask owner/instructor Malcolm to weigh in on this thread.

I have yet (and we are talking about 20+ years of certification) to come across a training facility that claimed that they would not do whatever it takes, and even extra sessions, to get a student to complete the program. Barring absolute and total failure by the student (and here we are talking the whole class) - this STINKS!!!!! This guy is a scammer!!!!! Contact the certifying agency!!!!

Lets think about it - if the whole class "failed", either they are all really bad (and the odds are astronomical of that) or this guy is incompetent or a total rip off (and I'm leaning to the latter)!!!!!

Agreed, going to contact SSI tomorrow and see their thoughts. (we all passed the written exam, he had no control over that) Not sure why he didnt let us pass the practical part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom