SSI Night Diving course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Has anyone taken the SSI Night Diving specialty course? I would like to ask if there anything specifically you learned in the class that you didn't (or wouldn't) find out by simply night diving with a DM.

The reason for my question is I need one more specialty course (and several more dives) to qualify for my Master Diver cert and I just don't know if I should fork out the $ for that course or take something else.

Thanks,
John

Hi,

Has anyone taken the SSI Night Diving specialty course? I would like to ask if there anything specifically you learned in the class that you didn't (or wouldn't) find out by simply night diving with a DM.

Yes I have taken the course. There was nothing in the course I could not have found out diving at night myself. I don't feel a DM is required either, for one's first night dive but if you are nervous or anything like that, sure, bring one along :) Night dives are heaps of fun, one of my favourite types of diving!

The reason for my question is I need one more specialty course (and several more dives) to qualify for my Master Diver cert and I just don't know if I should fork out the $ for that course or take something else.

What have you done? Nitrox, Deep or Rescue would be the only others from SSI I would recommend. The rest I believe can be learned on one's own or through other agencies more suited to other specialites. Is there some reason you need to get a Master Diver card? It isn't required for anything so there is no need to do specialties just for the sake of getting it.

What have you done? .
Nitrox, Deep Diving, Boat, and inked in for Stress/Rescue in 2 months
Is there some reason you need to get a Master Diver card?

Simply a persoanl goal I set for myself for 2009. Not a card collector or anthing like that, just enjoying learning and practice to be the best I can be:wink:
Thanks for your input Saspotato!
John

Simply a persoanl goal I set for myself for 2009. Not a card collector or anthing like that, just enjoying learning and practice to be the best I can be:wink:
Thanks for your input Saspotato!
John

Ok then. Well just my 2c of possible options:

Equipment Maintenance: I have heard a few friends speak highly of this when they have had an instructor that really knows their gear as they say they have learned a lot about maintaining their gear and also how it all works. Others have really bagged this course though so think the benefits of this will really depend on who teaches it.

Wreck Diving: Usually if one wants to get into wreck diving, there are better options for courses through technical agencies. However I know of a few local courses were the instructors have a great interest in marine archeology and go into a lot of that during the course. So if you have an interest at all in wrecks and their history it might be fun :) Also wreck dives are always fun (in my opinion anyway :wink:) so the dives should be pretty cool!

U/W photography: again the worth of this is dependent on your instructor. I have never done this course but hear that people can learn a fair bit about how to take good pictures. Not sure if it increases your diving skills at all but perhaps one's photography skills :)

Anyway, those were the few that stood out to me on the SSI website. I doubt any of them are really necessary but if you are set on a Master Diver card, they would be what I would pick! Other courses like Navigation and Drysuit Diving, I really think people can learn on their own. Navigation was a boring course to me, probably my least favourite. Drysuit diving I learned by diving myself (also it might not be cold where you live :wink:) and it was not difficult (and I am not a quick learner when it comes to diving skills usually :p). Search & Recovery seems to be an option too but I have not done the course and don't know anybody well who has so can't comment.

Good luck~

Edit: I forgot to say, Rescue is a great course, you'll enjoy it I am sure :)

Ok then. Well just my 2c of possible options:

Equipment Maintenance:
It's been amazing all the info I picked up here on SB about equipment maintenance, but will keep this in mind.

Wreck Diving:
This is for sure an area I'm interested. This plays into the goal I have set for Master Diver. I wanted to wait until I reached Master Diver to then decide which direction I want to go, stay rec or go to tech. If I go tec then I will train in this area.
U/W photography:
For what ever reason I'm never have been into nor do I plan to get into photo (my wife seems to do a much better job at this....lol).
Thanks again Saspotato!
John

I took the Night Diving several years ago but only because my daughter was taking the course. I already had made a number of night dives and knew 95% of what was in the book. Even though my daughter had made several night dives, it was an OK course for her.

Most of the important information in the book, you will probably learn on a boat during the briefing before a night dive. If you are making a night dive from the shore, the book has some useful information. But you can learn all of this by reading the book (or any other night diving book). From my experience, I would not recommend paying an instuctor for the course. Plus the checkout dives are on your own and do not require an instructor.

Another course we took was navigation which was a great course. In fact, we spent the better part of the day in a 10 foot deep lake with < 3 foot viz doing a square and a triamgle. If you do not have a lot of practice with ta compass underwater, it can be easy to veer off course. Our instructor really helped us with this skill. I would defintely recommend this course.

Cavern is also a good course which can help you with buoyancy, out of air, low viz, and awaremess skills.

I just completed the SSI Night Diving course. It's basically worthless material. But, my purpose for taking the course was to qualify for my Advanced Diving card. Many dive shops won't take you on the "good" dives with the OW card.

So, if you want a quick 'n dirty class that doesn't take much effort, this is the one.

Otherwise, I found the Nitrox course to have valuable content, even for air divers.

I just completed the SSI Night Diving course. It's basically worthless material. But, my purpose for taking the course was to qualify for my Advanced Diving card. Many dive shops won't take you on the "good" dives with the OW card.

So, if you want a quick 'n dirty class that doesn't take much effort, this is the one.

Otherwise, I found the Nitrox course to have valuable content, even for air divers.

Thanks jeffchandler. Seems I asked the right question on the best site (lol). Just had a feeling this was the case. I need more practice at night diving and wasn't sure the classroom was the best way.
I agree with the Nitrox class. I also lucked out and did my Deep Diving with a great instructor that used a lot maore material than just the SSI book. Got into rockbottom times and stuff, which really opened my eyes to there is a lot more to going deep than just looking at your computer.
Thanks,
John

I took night diving the weekend after I got certified. I learned things, felt it was worth the money and would recommend it. However, you don't HAVE to get a night diving certification to do night diving. I've never had a DM ask for my night diving-card to do a night dive in Cozumel.

Diving after dark is a whole different experience in terms of what you will see in the way of critters. Also, for me, night diving is more focused, because you can only see where the light is shining.

The purpose of doing the course (IMHO) is to not only learn the little ins and outs of night diving out of the book but to also dive it with a qualified instructor in order to gain a comfort level and experience in doing something out of the 'norm'.

For example, someone who is interested in doing a night dive, not having any experience and feeling a bit apprehensive. Not having the visability that you would have during the day can be scarey for some and needs to do an introduction under supervision.

Back
Top Bottom