SSI nitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jakkm

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am interested in taking the SSI nitrox course. I just looked on the website and it says

The SSI Enriched Air Nitrox program will teach you how to safely plan and dive with enriched air mixtures of up to 40% oxygen. [...] You will earn the SSI Enriched Air Nitrox 32% or 40% certification after completing this program.
What determines if you get the "32%" or the "40%" certification after the program? Is it how well you do on some theory exam?

The description sounds a little strange. On a basic nitrox course, most agencies provide a certification for "up to" 40% nitrox. So the course certifies you for use up to 40% and typically emphasizes the two most standard nitrox mixes (36% & 32%). I would be very surprised if the SSI course had two levels of basic nitrox certification. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me on SSI's policies can weigh in.

Jakkm,
The course you take will determine that. It's essentially the same program, but your instructor has the option to focus on 32%, or richer mix when teaching. Tell her or him which training you want. Upon completing your course and passing the exam, your instructor should be able to update your records online. Shortly there after, you should be able to verify that this specialty was added to your accomplishments. If you order a card, then... you get that too.
Cheers,
Ricardo

Last edited:
I took the course. The card lets you buy NITROX for most banked mixes up to 40%. The 40% limitation is kinda, sorta imposed by the seller of the gases where 40% and below does not absolutely, positively have an O2 clean tank or regulator since it is banked. The physics of the dive with enriched air is still calculated (MOD, TAD and EAD) for PPO2 for the percentage. Don't sweat it... You will see the what I mean when you do the math.

what's the logic of doing that? the math is the same, the procedures are the same up to 40% regardless of what you're doing, so why split the cert up?

They split it up for the same reasons they split up all the simple stuff... to sell you more courses for what should have been taught from the get-go. It is responding to the timid and fearful, which seems like the last couple of generations gravitate toward.

Just tell your instructor you'd like to take the Level 2 course (40%). My daughter and I just finished up the SSI course exam and training last night with our LDS/instructor. The SSI official "Training Program Name" that appears on my card from SSI says "SC-EAN - Specialty Course Enriched Air Nitrox Level 2 (40%)".

to my knowledge there is only one nitrox cert avail from ssi now. they used to teach the level 1 and level 2 but as far as i am aware we have not done that for a at least 2 or 3 years.

Huh? I got mine in 2008 & show no level 1 or 2, just Nitrox. Here's mine:
IMG_6080.JPG

is it on the other side perhaps ? i cannot comment on how the cards used to look. i did my nitrox a long time ago and it was with a different agency.

i became an ssi instr 2 1/2 years ago. i "interned" for about 2 years before that. the instructors used to have the option to certify the student in level 1 (up to 32%) or level 2 (up to 40%) as was stated earlier in this thread. during my instr evaluation (during the fall of 2014 i believe) we were advised ssi was no longer separating the two and there would now only be one course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom