St. Lucia Diving & reasonable lodging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailorJoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ahoy! Looking for recommended dive shops in St. Lucia as well as reasonable lodging. Location within walking distance to snorkeling + diving a plus. Nearby food a double bonus!

Many thanks!

Ahoy! Looking for recommended dive shops in St. Lucia as well as reasonable lodging. Location within walking distance to snorkeling + diving a plus. Nearby food a double bonus!

Many thanks!

My bottom line after two week trip to St Lucia is it is not a great dive destination. I posted a few reports from St Lucia at: St. Lucia recommendations

The island is spectacular. The diving is not bad. They have a serious Lion Fish problem that if they don't deal with will kill their reefs.

The best diving is near Soufriere. I used Air B&B to find lodging near by and dove with Scuba St Lucia in Anse Chastain resort. However I was rather unhappy because they limit every dive to 45 minutes. There was snorkeling at Anse Chastain so strictly speaking that resort could fill your requirements.

I had similar requirements to your in that my wife snorkels but does not dive. We ended up driving to/from diving as well as to snorkel. I don't mind driving "on the wrong side of the road" so for me that was fine (truth is most of the roads are so narrow there is no right and wrong side, there is only road and some of those are just dirt).

There are other dive operators you could consider and I can't speak for the others except I did try out a very small shop in Soufriere called Action Adventure Divers. I really liked the operator but it is as small scale as they come, you can read what I wrote at the link above.

My 2 stops at St. Lucia were via cruise ship, so can't help on housing. 2nd Time, dove, and with Scuba Steve's (in 2014 - mini-trip report). SOFDiver had nice things to say about them, too (thread). Blues Runner did a 2016 Scuba St. Lucia and Anse Chastenet report. Mike C.'s 2015 thread, St. Lucia, included some input, including a link to a DAN Alert Diver magazine article on St. Lucia, Estale.

Judging from the forum, St. Lucia doesn't seem to be a 'just a dedicated dive trip' mainstream destination, but you can have good diving while you're there. Our 1st stop was our honeymoon in 2006, and my wife & I did a tour including a rainforest hike that was neat. Practically no wildlife, but lushly vegetated. I recommend shoes that don't lend themselves to twisting your ankle!

I've thought about St. Lucia, but by the time I factored in housing (I'm a hotel guy; haven't made the jump to AirBnB, etc...), airfare & so forth for our little family, total trip cost was looking too rich for my blood.

Hope you'll post a trip report if you go!

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom