St. Maarten Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFEIII

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be traveling to St. Maarten ini the next few weeks and was looking for dive recommendations (which sites and with which operator). I'd also appreciate any recommendations on car rentals, restaurants and night life. Thanks in advance.

Knowing where you are staying would be helpful as would your price point. For me, no trip to SXM is complete without a couple stops at Talk of the Town lolo (local eatery) in Grand Case for chicken, ribs and fried plantains. Orient Beach has restaurants lining it a good stop for lunch and beverages. Fine dining abounds all over, espcially in Grand Case, Marigot and Maho. Friars Bay is another great place to spend the day lounging where Kali's beach bar makes some wicked drinks and good food. As for diving I've been out with Ocean Explorers (Kimsha Beach), the shop at Divi Resort and Aquamania at Pelican Resort all Dutch side. No complaints about any, all nice diving, crews all reputable, boats and gear in good working order. Can't comment on night life - have to get up too early to go diving. Another option is to take Winair or the ferry over to Saba for a day of diving, totally different class of diving.

Thanks Jersey. Staying on the French side, although friends made the reservation so I'm not sure exactly where - I believe it is a timeshare condo. Price point doesn't matter, far more concerned with quality, whether talking about diving, resuartants or nightlife. Any other info you can give me on Saba woulf be appreciated! Thanks,

Staying on the French side, although friends made the reservation so I'm not sure exactly where - I believe it is a timeshare condo. Price point doesn't matter, far more concerned with quality, whether talking about diving, resuartants or nightlife. Any other info you can give me on Saba woulf be appreciated! Thanks,

You will have no problems finding quality food on SXM - gourmet for sure! Marigot, Grand Case and Orient are all French side. Google Grand Case and I'm sure it will return numerous establishments, probably with menus. Marigot has a couple patisseries along the waterfront - great to grab a croissant and latte and watch the chickens wander around. Fort Marigot is a good hike to get rid of the calories from the aforementioned snack. As a food I always hit the Grand Marche grocery in Marigot to pick up meats, cheese, fruit and bread along with wine for snacking.

Diving in SXM is fine. Usual assortment of stuff - fish, turtles, rays, sharks, sometimes dolphin. No real must-do high recognition sites that I am aware of.

Saba is some of the top diving in the Carib, if not the apex. You can do it as a day trip, either flying or ferrying over and back. Seen the original King Kong? The cloud ringed pinnacle used in the movie is Saba. No beaches, thus no run off, better vis and conditions. Deeper diving, starting around 90 feet, not necessarily a place for beginners though it was my first 'real' dive trip and I survived. Large pelagics. Pristine corals. I dive with Saba Deep see Saba Deep Dive Center . The local SXM dive shop should be able to help with your arrangements to Saba. Most of them seem to work together well.

Good luck and be sure to give us a trip report upon your return.

I stayed at Grand Case Beach Club about 8 years ago and loved how quiet it was. I'm not sure if that's changed. I remember my favorite place to eat were the lolo's and Spiga.

Was there last week on a cruise ship. Dove with Ocean Explorers on the Dutch side. Very professional operation, well run! Current kept us from some sites, but we saw a number of turtles, rays, lobsters and eels in addition to the usual reef fish.

If you do happen by there, I left my 7mm boots. I'd be super appreciative if you could bring them back to the states so I could afford having them shipped to me (more than new ones cost to ship from St. Maarten) :)

I can recommend octopus divers. Dove with them earlier this month. See my earlier post. Spanish rock is a very cool dive. Have fun.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

I'll be watching this thread for any advise. I'm going in August but we are staying on the Dutch side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom