St. Maarten Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob - as I'm sure you know, sharks kind of do their own thing and you can't count on seeing them. That said my first trip there, maybe third OW water dive ever, asked the dive shop owner (then LeRoy French, very interesting guy and Great White attack survivor) about seeing sharks. I wasn't too keen on them at the time, being just barely able to sort out my own gear. Slim was the answer. That dive to Charlies Shoals, Lee and I buddied up. We round a reef corner and ten feet away is a 6 foot Caribean Reef Shark aggressively posturing (back arched, mouth agape and shaking head left to right). Lee looked at me and signaled 'shark' I see it and sign OK, he points again and signals emphatically 'SHARK', yes I point, signal 'shark' and OK. Seeing it was the trip highlight (that and mating cuttlefish). I've seen nurse and some others that I haven't been able to identify. Splash in first and scan the bottom in all directions. The shy sharks tend to move out pretty quick. Or be the last one back on the boat, I've seen them whilst doing safety stop. Dive Safari's SXM used to do a Shark Feed, not sure if they still run it. Did not see sharks on Saba, lots of large grouper hanging around like bad dogs.

Thanks Jersey. Yes, I'm aware that those of us that love to see them rarely do. That was good advive that I hadn't thought of about being the first in or the last out. I hadn't thought of that but I did dive the Oriskany last weekend and the only shark sighting was the first guy in on the second dive (it wasn't me) but the shark was gone when divers started splashing in.

I'm leaving for St Maarten on Saturday. Planning on spreading my business around the first three days to see who I'm most comfortable with for my next trip.

Am headed to SXM in December, Dutch side. Staying at a timeshare, Flamingo Beach I think (formerly Sunterra) or somewhere near there. Looking for shop with quality service and small groups. While I am avid diver my husband is still new. I am also interested in day trip to Saba. Can you actually do the day trip there by plane and still dive? Any insight to any of the above is appreciated.

Cookie - Flamingo/Sunterra is on Pelican Point, next to the old Pelican Resort now Simpson Bay Resort. Your request for quality service and small groups fits Ocean Explorers located on Kimsha Beach - right down the street from your resort! Not your cruise ship or concierge dive shop, rather small, quality and no more then 6 divers. Was the first dive shop on the island. Check them out here Ocean Explorers Dive Center - Scuba Diving in St Maarten / St Martin Best Dives. If that is too far to go, Simpson Bay resort has a dive shop as well, AquaMania not a bad op either, seems to be more the resort crowd. You could walk next door to Simpson Bay Aqua Mania Adventures and Water Sports, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina.

Yes! You actually can do a day trip to Saba via WinAir, dive and fly. It is a low altitude puddle jump, not sure the specifics as far as altitude, but others on SB have done it. You could also take the ferry (AKA Vomit Comet) from Simpson Bay over in the morning, dive and ferry back. Just take your Bonine or Dramamine :D.

PM if you have any specific questions.

Yes! You actually can do a day trip to Saba via WinAir, dive and fly. It is a low altitude puddle jump, not sure the specifics as far as altitude, but others on SB have done it.

I'm doing this one week from today. (can't wait) Our group was told by Winair that the planes are unpressurised but never exceed 2000'.

Hey Bob ~ Was wondering if you had made your trip yet. Glad to hear you are doing Saba, take your dramamine for the landing :D Have a great trip, post a report for us languishing at work... Did you hear they had a 4.6 earthquake the day after the hurricane?

So just after commenting on the hurricane and earthquake in SXM, here in South East PA we feel the 5.9 just outside DC. ...And a hurricane could be steaming up the coast to hit our weekend beach house...just in time for the weekend. (Are locusts next?)

No, I hadn't heard about the earthquake. Heck, we just had an earthquake on the east coast of the US and the hurricane is headed here. Sounds like a good time to leave the US.

I have never been motion sick in my life but I have seen a video of that landing. I may pick up some dramamine just to be safe. It's better to take it and not need it than the other way around.

I'll post a report when I get back, if not sooner. I am taking a laptop but I don't plan on playing on the computer much.

Bob, FYI, I prefer Bonine to Dramamine, doesn't knock you out the same way. Have a fabulous trip! Please post info when you return. If you have a positive experience, would love details on who you go with, prices, etc. and how you arranged it all for your day trip to Saba so I can recreate it. Thanks much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom