St. Maarten Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

St Maarten, good. Saba, WOW!!!!! (more when I get back to the states.)

Bob, FYI, I prefer Bonine to Dramamine, doesn't knock you out the same way. Have a fabulous trip! Please post info when you return. If you have a positive experience, would love details on who you go with, prices, etc. and how you arranged it all for your day trip to Saba so I can recreate it. Thanks much!

BTW: I didn't think the flight to Saba was bad at all. No Dramamine, no problem. Short runway? yes. Those guys know what they are doing and do it well.

St Maarten, good. Saba, WOW!!!!!

BTW: I didn't think the flight to Saba was bad at all. No Dramamine, no problem. Short runway? yes. Those guys know what they are doing and do it well.

St Maarten - good to dive 'cause it's cheaper then going jewelry shopping! Yep, kudos to those pilots. Now go dive more ~ can't wait to read your report.

OK, I finally have a few minutes.

The Scuba Diving with Scuba Fun Dive Center, Philipsburg St Maarten St Martin treated us very well. They have 3 boats, a zodiac, a mid-sized boat, and a cattle boat. We dove all 3. None of the boats were ever crowded, although the cattle boat looked full when they had the cruise ship group. That was the day that they sent 3 of us and a DM out on the zodiac and allowed us to drift dive. They do an excellent job of splitting up groups based on experience and air consumption. We never had more than 4 divers per DM and most dives had nearly as many DM's as divers. There were a couple of DM's that were new to St Maarten and learning the sites diving with us on several dives. The vis on all dives was about 80', not perfect but pretty damn good. All dives were at moderate depths 40'-80'. They also do afternoon dives but we were warned that is when they do discover scuba and checkout dives and weren't done on great sites and were shallow dives, so none of us went on one.

The Carib Cargo, was an interesting wreck dive, a fair amount of penetration if the DM thinks you'll be safe. The reefs were moderately healthy, definitely worth seeing. As for marine life, we saw a few reef sharks a couple of nurse sharks, several turtles, several spotted eels, a really cool bed of garden eels, and all of the typical Caribbean fish. None were overly abundant or huge but it was a nice variety.

Saba, once again, WOW. I wouldn't even think of diving it without a computer. Most of the sites were fairly deep at the beginning and they let you dive the limits of your computer if your air consumption allows it. My 3rd dive there, (the easy shallow dive) my computer logged 80' for 64 minutes, obviously we started deep and ended up shallow. The marine life was larger and the reefs are more healthy. We were diving with Saba Deep, they treated us like kings. Unless you insisted on doing it yourself, they did all of your gear setup, tank changes, and rinsed your gear when you were done.

Just something to add, we saw lots of jellyfish on a couple of dives but most had no tentacles and wouldn't hurt you. At least, that's what they told us. According to my elbow, a few could sting. It's very minor but I suspect that's the cause. It could be that I brushed some fire coral while inside the Carib Cargo.

Thanks for all the info KY_Bob! The little woman and I will be there next spring.

Keep the info coming!

Thanks for asking. Had the trip all planned, Winair ticket in hand for a daytrip, SeaSaba reservation for 3 dives including the pinnacles... Unfortunately, diving the day before on SXM and had a mishap on the boat after the dives. I was getting off the boat at the beach climbing down the ladder when a swell hit - grabbed on the ladder and when it slammed back down on the boat the fingers on my left hand got crushed under it, pretty badly flattened and bleeding. Went to a clinic down the street where the doc bandaged it up and told me if I want to avoid infection stay out of the water for a week. Even had to bag my hand in the shower. It definitely put a damper on the trip. Another 5 days on the island with no water/diving! But I could not have carried anything, set up anything, or climbed a ladder that week. Even now, the fingers are in splints and I'm typing with one hand. (Thankfully not broken but pretty swollen, sore and mangled). I do have to say SeaSaba was really understanding and kindly refunded my reservation fee in whole. WinAir would not refund my ticket or let me transfer it to someone else to use but did say I could use the ticket for up to one year so long as I pay an $85 fee to reinstate it. Not sure if I'll be back again as soon as next year though it's possible since my in-laws go every December and that's why we went this time to begin with.

Long way of saying, no, despite the best laid plans, did not make it to Saba, but definitely plan to next time! Thanks for all the advice.

Happy new year!

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about the injury and that it caused you problems with the rest of your vacation. That kind of thing is one of my worst nightmares when traveling. I admire your willingness to go back and bite the dog that bit you.

Back
Top Bottom