St. Thomas - Good Diving but Overpriced Ghetto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rule62

Reaction score
Just returned from 1 week in St Thomas. The diving was good and the HMS Rhone on BVI a must. Beyond the diving St Thomas is one big S Hole!!! The only nice thing (including restaurants, hotels, nightlife and especially the locals) I could find on the island was the view!!!! It's unfortunate the natives do not appreciate what they have and they especially don't appreciate tourists. I know the constant flow of cruisers can be a beating but we're not all off the cruise boats. I'm not looking for any kind of adoration but simple common courtesy would be nice!!!

Bottom line, fly into St Thomas stay on St John Island or anywhere but St. Thomas!!!

You might try the one step beyond approach to travel. Try and get one step beyond where the rest of the people go. Little Cayman is one step beyond Grand Cayman. Saba is one step beyond St. Maarten. Grand Turk is one step beyond Providenciales. If you go where the average ugly American goes you will find people who have been turned off by ugly Americans. JMTC

ScubaSam99:
It's unfortunate the natives do not appreciate what they have and they especially don't appreciate tourists.

travel opens some eyes

and yet it is wholy inneffective with others

I lived on St Thomas for eight years.

Many St Thomians hate white Americans. Not true of most other West Indians from other islands (I found) Most of the British islanders are super nice people. (wonderful primary school education too) I think it is because of the welfare state we created there in St Thomas, St Croix, with the federal housing projects, etc. Resentment festers, it's undeniable. When I was there again a couple years ago, I thought it actually seemed better.

It was a good experience for me to be on the other side of the race coin, I learned a lot. But I can see why you might not want it for a vacation.

It used to be a pretty dangerous place, lots of murders when I was there.
(late 80's)

many of the British islands are super clean and very friendly.

"The Natives"

Absolutely charming...

Yes, charming.

Hey Catherine. Is that you drinking bongwater in your avatar?

j/k

I know I'm going to regret this...

Jamdiver:
"The Natives"

Absolutely charming...

Beleive it or not, not everything is about race Jam. The definition of "native"
"a person who was born in a particular place; an indigenous person"
is a common term. I am a Native Texan and it has nothing to do with race!!!!!!!!!! It does have to do with where is was born. Now isn't that charming!!!!

The bottom line is, St. thomas reminded me of Detroit where I lived for 5 years!!!!

Some people love detroit.

ScubaSam99:
Beleive it or not, not everything is about race Jam. The definition of "native"
"a person who was born in a particular place; an indigenous person"
is a common term. I am a Native Texan and it has nothing to do with race!!!!!!!!!! It does have to do with where is was born. Now isn't that charming!!!!

The bottom line is, St. thomas reminded me of Detroit where I lived for 5 years!!!!
And believe it or not I wasn't suggesting anything regarding race :shakehead.
My issue was with the manner in which you used the word "natives", but it doesn't matter frankly.

Regards,

And hope you have a better time next time you visit St. Thomas.

Jamdiver:
And believe it or not I wasn't suggesting anything regarding race :shakehead.
My issue was with the manner in which you used the word "natives", but it doesn't matter frankly.

Regards,

And hope you have a better time next time you visit St. Thomas.

My bad. And I definitely won't ever return to St Thomas. I'll stick with the many more enjoyable islands places in the Carribean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom