St. Thomas - Good Diving but Overpriced Ghetto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:

Oh...so , while we are at it, ^you^, why don't you give us Americans some pointers on how to act better?

Lol, lol, lol, lol

I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole :D :D :D

why not...I can take it.

okay let's see.

Don't dress like that.

Don't act that way.

You, are not all that.

At least I tip better than ^you^. And I am not as rowdy as ^you^, for sure.

You probly think this song is about you, don't you, don't you?

^you^ ?

Do you really want some tips?

Well apart from trying to change the general mindset that we are backward and "third world". Here are some little things that you may not even be aware of that absolutly piss people off.

1. Don't wear these hats with the fake rasta dreads around.. it's insultive to their culture and tradtions (many take decades to grow their locks and take great amount of pride in it). Apart from the rastas it also pisses a lot of people off. You can wear it at home though.

2. Many times tourists do this and do not relize this, but they talk to the locals in a condescending manner.

3. Another thing I know that is true in St.Lucia not sure for other places. May tourists often walk in the road as opposed to the sidewalks which are most places grass. They do this on narrow roads and even if they are told to walk on the side they usually don't pay attention. ( This is one of the things that really pisses people off)

4. PLEASE do not try to imitate our accents it just makes you look like an idiot and feels as though you are making a mockery of us.

There are other things I could go into. The thing is tourists aren't that bad, it's not like they do something so major, it's just the accumulation of small things over and over that really gets to us.

One true example is after diving you find that in St. Lucia we use alot of smaller dive boats, so usually after a trip we tank the tanks off for refilling etc. most times that I've been diving with a british person they help offload the boat, I have only had one American do this. On two occassions Americans were going to help but someone one in their groups said "they get paid to do this" clearly for the crew to hear, ( note these are two seperate sets of people and this is just in two weeks).

With constant little comments like that how are we suppossed to react to tourists? Especially in a country where everybody helps each other out?

I don't have a problem if you guys walk around everywhere in your bathing suits, what the heck you are on vacation. But what i do expect is that you show the locals the respect they deserve and realize that you are in THEIR country. I am sure Jamdiver can agree with most of what I said

catherine96821:
Oh...so , while we are at it, ^you^, why don't you give us Americans some pointers on how to act better?

same as i would tell everybody. treat everyone as a human being, don't look down on anyone, be polite; if you're in somebody else's country, try to figure out what's cool and isn't and act accordingly

as you well know, it's not just some Americans who need to learn to act this way. it goes both ways

jaybombs25:
natives have a sort of negative connotation it implies poverty, uncivilised and that we are generally primitive. quote]

Amazing!!! As I mentioned many posts ago, I am a Native Texan and paid extra for license plates depicting such. That being said, (Texan jokes aside) I do not consider myself poor, uncivilized nor generally primitive!!! Sounds to me Jay here may have some sort of inferiority complex or extreme paranoia!!!

ok if you say so.. but chew on this.. When someone says native American what are the first things that jump into your head?

If a dive guest here tries to help offload tanks, they are usually stopped for insurance/liabilty reasons, just so ya know.

I see crew tell people all the time to stop. I prefer to cut people some slack, you never know their experience where they come from.

So...maybe we should get mad when the tourists here buy fake grass skirts to wear at their little barbecues back home?

I know rastas are touchy about those dreads....try and shave them off to sew them up...it turns in to a big thing.

I love Hawaii, nobody gets mad about anything much.

I LOVE HAWAII, we are not aggro. (Good job Hawaii!)

But...I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me what bugs you about us.

I think the thing that bugs me most about Americans is they are so LOUD after a few drinks. They kind of impose their scene on where ever we are.
Americans drink too much in public.

jaybombs25:
1. Don't wear these hats with the fake rasta dreads around.. it's insultive to their culture and tradtions (many take decades to grow their locks and take great amount of pride in it). Apart from the rastas it also pisses a lot of people off. You can wear it at home though.

4. PLEASE do not try to imitate our accents it just makes you look like an idiot and feels as though you are making a mockery of us.

It seems one is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. Try to embrace your culture and one is resented for making a mockery of it. Don't embrace it and one is resented for being aloof and uninterested in the local culture.

There's a saying, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Others in the world recognize this. Go to Asia and try to eat with chopsticks, the locals don't get outraged at you for mocking their eating habits, they smile with understanding and offer hints. Go to Mexico and speak a little Spanish and they don't get bent because you used wrong tense/gender and butchered the pronunciation, they appreciate the attempt.

jaybombs25:
One true example is after diving you find that in St. Lucia we use alot of smaller dive boats, so usually after a trip we tank the tanks off for refilling etc. most times that I've been diving with a british person they help offload the boat, I have only had one American do this. On two occassions Americans were going to help but someone one in their groups said "they get paid to do this" clearly for the crew to hear, ( note these are two seperate sets of people and this is just in two weeks).

In most places, when you pay for a service it is expected the service will be performed by the service provider. If I go to a restaurant on your island, should I go to the kitchen and start helping the cooks prepare my meal? Or wash the dishes afterwards? Should I go to the hotel laundry room and help the housecleaning staff launder the towels? Maybe offer to drive for awhile on a long taxi ride?

catherine96821:
If a dive guest here tries to help offload tanks, they are usually stopped for insurance/liabilty reasons, just so ya know.

I see crew tell people all the time to stop. I prefer to cut people some slack, you never know their experience where they come from.

So...maybe we should get mad when the tourists here buy fake grass skirts to wear at their little barbecues back home?

I know rastas are touchy about those dreads....try and shave them off to sew them up...it turns in to a big thing.

I love Hawaii, nobody gets mad about anything much.

I LOVE HAWAII, we are not aggro. (Good job Hawaii!)

But...I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me what bugs you about us.

I think the thing that bugs me most about Americans is they are so LOUD after a few drinks. They kind of impose their scene on where ever we are.
Americans drink too much in public.

It almost sounds as if you don't consider yourself American (that was an attmept at humor) :).

Pretty much I agree with you, sometimes other Americans embarras me. I have found, though (and I think Jaybomb would agree with this) that being generally polite and acting like a normal person, along with a sincere smile and liberal use of the words "please" and "thank you" will get you a long way anywhere you go.

I moved to Guam right out of college. Prior to going there all I heard was what a hell-hole it was, and how all the local people hated "haoles". My experience was 180 degrees from that. I worked for a company owned by a Chammorro family for a while, rented a house from another Chammorro family in their compound, and taught 7th grade for a semester. I found all the Chammorros, Palauans, Chuukese, Filipinos and other people to be great for the most part. I loved my time on the island (mmm kelagiun, red rice- GOD I MISS THE FOOD!!) :).

jaybombs25:
ok if you say so.. but chew on this.. When someone says native American what are the first things that jump into your head?

First thing that comes to my mind is honor and respect since I am of Cherokee decent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom