STA or NOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluewatertoy:
Lots of great info so far. Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if you can use the DSS system WITH an STA. As far as I can tell on their website you can't. I am not sure if they even offer one.

Kelly

Kelly,

Have you talked with the folks at DSS about this???

I have only done cursory research on this topic so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

The DSS backplate and wing systems are designed so that a single cylinder can be securely mounted without the need for an STA. I have not played with their wings so I am not familiar with all of the pieces involved. However, as I understand it, there are parts specifically built into their single wing to securely mount a cylinder.

Halcyon's wings are different. The eclipes wing cannot be used without an STA (or so I hear) and the pioneer wing come with rods built into the wing that is supposed to help secure a cylinder. I personally do not think that the rods that come with the pioneer wing work very well. I tried using a borrowed STA which seemed to yield a more secure mount.

It is also possible to mix and match pieces. I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers would not recommend it but there is an argument to be made for having a dss plate with a halcyon wing. In this combination, you may find yourself in a situation where the halcyon wing is not securely mounting the cylidner. In this case, an STA might be required.

I personally like the DSS plate. If you decide to go in that direction, I would suggest that you get the matching DSS wing and avoid all of the added expense of having an STA. If you have a preference for halcyon, be prepared to pony some extra change to mount the cylinder securely.

bluewatertoy:
Lots of great info so far. Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if you can use the DSS system WITH an STA. As far as I can tell on their website you can't. I am not sure if they even offer one.

Kelly

You can use the DSS wings with STAs. All single tank wings I've seen mentioned around here can be used with standard STAs. All you need is for the slots to align, and they are usually 11" apart on the plates, wings and STAs. However, if you have the DSS plate then why would you bother with an STA?

bluewatertoy:

Kelly

Kelly,

Our single tank wings will accomodate a STA, but if you are using our plate, and our wing you don't need one. Our single rigs don't need to be adapted, they were designed from the get go to securely mount a single tank.

We don't make or sell STA's because I see few benefits and many downsides: More parts, more cost, tank further from the divers back, harder to reach the valve etc.

STA's have their place, they can be a means of adding weight to a backplate, but we have a way to do that also, using our bolt on weight plates. Our weight plates add weight with a lower center of gravity, and can be had in 5 and 8 lbs sets.

STA's do allow for more rapid conversion from single tanks to doubles, but it is uncommon to make that switch in course of single day's diving. Few divers will bring both wings (single and double) a set of doubles and single tanks, two reg sets, etc.
It happens, I've done it myself, just not very often.

I know of no one using A DSS wing on a DSS plate using a STA because the tank was not secure enough without one.

Regards,

Tobin

Tobin

Thanks for all of your information and explanations. I think I now have it figured out.
Basically the only way I would need an STA with your backplate is if I bought a separate wing. The wing on your system is what stabilizes the tank. I am 5'10" 210lbs. does your LCD 30 wing provide enough lift or would I need a larger one? Usually diving AL 80. I also love the idea of the bolt on weight plates very nice.

Kelly

bluewatertoy:
The DSS system seems to be what I am leaning towards. My only concern is whether or not a system with an STA or without is the better option.
The DSS rig is designed so that a STA is not needed. On another thread I asked how stable the DSS single tank rig is without an STA. The answer was resoundingly "rock-solid." Check this link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126509&page=5

Single tank stability is not inherent in the design of other systems, so far as I know, so for them an STA is needed.

bluewatertoy:
does your LCD 30 wing provide enough lift or would I need a larger one?
bluewatertoy,

I got to this point a short time ago. Since everybody's equipment, buoyancy, and dive sites ar different, there seems to be no checklist to use to determine what wing lift is needed. Besides, if somebody else calculates it and it doesn't work out, what recourse do you have.

So I tried to figure out how to do the calculation myself, keying on some tips from Tobin. To make sure I didn't screw up, I started a thread with my calculation, asking for feedback. Here's the link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=127385
You can apply the pattern of the calculations to your situation.

FWIW, I concluded that 30# is fine for me. As you'll read in the thread, people who replied to the thread said that 30# should be just fine in most cases.

Thanks for the link references BiG Tuna. Can't hurt to read about diving for another couple of hours.

Kelly

bluewatertoy:
Tobin

Thanks for all of your information and explanations. I think I now have it figured out.
Basically the only way I would need an STA with your backplate is if I bought a separate wing. The wing on your system is what stabilizes the tank. I am 5'10" 210lbs. does your LCD 30 wing provide enough lift or would I need a larger one? Usually diving AL 80. I also love the idea of the bolt on weight plates very nice.

Kelly

Kelly,

Wing lift is function of Exposure suit. You need to determine the max buoyancy of your suit. Email me or call if you'd like to discuss your requirements.

Tobin

I use a Hammerhead plate and one-piece STA along with a Pioneer wing. While the Pioneer does have a built in tank stabilizer, there is no way it's as stable as the big STA. The other reason for the STA is the extra weight. It's nice to remove a few extra pounds around the waist.

cool_hardware52:
I'm curious. Can you elaborate? Were you able to generate any motion of the tank relative to the backplate on the DSS set up? Was there any tendancy for the tank to rock from side to side on the DSS set up?

Properly fitted, and with snug cambands a Tank on a DSS plate and wing will be cradled in a sightly compressed elastomeric (rubbery) "wobble stopper" This compressed rubber effectively eliminates any slack that would permit any motion relative to the plate.

If there was any slop I'm concerned it may not have been set up correctly.
Sure thing Tobin. When the tank was secured to the "wobble stoppers" there wasn't really any slop, and I'd say it was more stable than the DiveRite TPII I used to dive. At the same time, when securing a tank to the compressed "wobble stoppers" seemed to provide a less rigid connection than securing to a STA. It didn't seem to wiggle, and it seemed to perform well while diving, but if I recall correctly, the stoppers were on the wing, and that just didn't seem as static as a connection to a metal wedge that's firmly bolted directly to the plate.

Again, it seemed to work fine, but I'd recommed anyone concerned about needing one try it without for a while, and then borrow an STA and wing and see if they notice/prefer the difference.

Incidentally, the weight plates on the BP gave me a little twinge of gear envy... nice work!

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom