STA or NOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206:
To me, the STA is a great option for the following reasons:

1) The SS STA weight aprox. 2# that I shaved from my weight system.
2) The STA gives me extra clearance for the 1rst stage from my head, thus avoiding hitting it (common problem with a flat plate or a soft pack bc)
3) IMHO, the STA feels more stable than the cambands alone.

In my case, the STA is a great solution for the above reasons, but it may not apply to you, so check if you can go without one and then you can upgrade later if needed.

Good reasons above.

You can get away without an STA if you don't plan on switching from singles to doubles often. I can fit my single bands between doubles without removing them, but then I can't fit the weight bar I made that sits between my doubles.

Diver Dennis:
Thanks. I was looking at a Halcyon Eclipse to use along with my Seaquest Pro Unlimited. Is an STA easy to travel with? Looks like it might be quite heavy.

Dive Rite has a plastic STA that weights close to nothing, the bulky issue for travel, well without one is easier to travel.

Thanks Mandy.

Diver Dennis:
Thanks. I was looking at a Halcyon Eclipse to use along with my Seaquest Pro Unlimited. Is an STA easy to travel with? Looks like it might be quite heavy.
It's about 3 lbs, and packs easily.

My DSS is completely stable. There's just no wobble to it.

Purpose one of an STA is to stabilize the tank. Well, if the wing has "cradles" built into it like the DSS, the that problem is solved.

Purpose two (for some) is to add weight. With the DSS weight plates, you have a much more elegant solution. It adds more weight than an STA and spreads it out over the plate right above your lungs. Perfecto!

I love my DSS rig. It couldn't be more stable. I don't think you can go wrong if you go that way, but in any event, parsing differences between most of the good single BP/W rigs is really splitting hairs. There's a lot of great stuff out there. Cheers! :D

MSilvia:
I helped a diver get his new DSS rig fitted properly recently, and he didn't have the STA. It looked pretty stable, but was definately not as stable as my rig with an STA.

Hi Matt,

I'm curious. Can you elaborate? Were you able to generate any motion of the tank relative to the backplate on the DSS set up? Was there any tendancy for the tank to rock from side to side on the DSS set up?

Properly fitted, and with snug cambands a Tank on a DSS plate and wing will be cradled in a sightly compressed elastomeric (rubbery) "wobble stopper" This compressed rubber effectively eliminates any slack that would permit any motion relative to the plate.

If there was any slop I'm concerned it may not have been set up correctly.

Regards,

Tobin

Keep in mind that, with the Eclipse, you have no choice but to use an STA because that wing has no cam band slots.

One more issue to keep in mind with the STA, if you dive shorter tanks that take taller boots (that is, shorter tanks with an 8" diameter, like an LP95): some STAs are too darn long and therefore, even with the bottom of the STA right up against the tank boot, the top tank strap will not be located on the flat part of the tank--or it will be located too close to the top arc for me to feel comfortable. If you dive an LP95 and use a pretty standard tank boot (e.g., XS Scuba), the OMS and Dive Rite STA's will not work, as they are 15" long. The standard Halcyon STA will just make it--it is slightly shorter than the DR and OMS, even though its cam slots are spaced EXACTLY the same as on the DR STA (because its shorter on the ends, though, you can keep that top cam off the arc of the tank). I use the Oxycheq lightweight STA, which is much shorter all the way around and works fine (though even this gets close if I keep the Scubapro tank boot on the LP95--but it could still work). I'm not absolutely certain, but if you use a shorter tank with a standard 7.25" diameter--like an HP80--because the tank boots are so much shorter on these smaller diameter tanks I believe most STAs will work fine--but you might wish to make certain. Al80s are long tanks with short boots so STA length would not be an issue. Just something to keep in mind.

mahjong

Lots of great info so far. Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if you can use the DSS system WITH an STA. As far as I can tell on their website you can't. I am not sure if they even offer one.

Kelly

Diver Dennis:
Dumb question but I am looking for a BP/W as well. What is STA?

Hi Dennis. No such thing as a dumb quesstion on this board. Sometimes you have to be a genius, or have a couple of teenagers to figure out all the abbreviations on this board.

Kelly

I use DSS and OMS systems without a STA for single tank recreational diving. I like both of them, and have no problems with stability, trim, etc. Just make sure you have a wing with a built-in STA or some sort of anti-wobble insert or attachment. That's what makes it work. If you like a BP that lies flatter against your back, then the DSS has the lowest profile I've seen. I really like the DSS Kydex BP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom