STA QUESTION?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never used an STA period and would never own a plate or wing that needed one to work.

STA's are good for coldwater diving for the additional ballast and thats about it.

My Zeagle BPW combo came with the STA. The wing has slots to thread the cam bands but I was told the STA is best used as it keeps the tank from wobbling.
I like the ease of breaking apart the kit for travel so am used to it and is not an issue for me.
I am a warm water recreational diver.

OK, I'm a little confused. I don't have a (single tank) BP/W yet, so excuse my ignorance.

Why is a STA necessary if the wing doesn't have cam band slots? I'm looking at the DGX package, who's wing has no slots. If a STA was required, why wouldn't they include it in the package.

I thought that things were assembled by aligning the grommet holes in the wing with the holes in the backplate (and the shoulder strap cross-over grommet) and securing with bolts. I don't really understand the point of cam-band slots in the wing. Do people go without bolts, and therefore require slots in the wing? Do the bolts cause the tank (without STA) a spot to rub and flop around.

I thought the only purpose of the STA was to add stability to the tank and prevent it from shifting.

Please help me understand. Maybe describe the assembly process with (and without) STA?

It has cam band slots, it is a "bad" picture....

upload_2019-3-8_18-15-28.png

It has cam band slots, it is a "bad" picture....

View attachment 508886

Oh, I meant the wing, not the backplate. I guess the four big holes made by the thin webbing cross are 'slots'. The word 'slots' was misleading me.

I dont usae an STA I use a oxydheq wing that has the function built into the wing. My wing is like the one pictured by happy-diver a couple of posts before this one but with out the metel pieces that have a T and B on it..

Why the 2 metal things marked T and B for?????? The sta is integrated into that wing with the 4 ribs to keep the tank center.
The other thing ,,, What is that other metal piece that looks like a USPS bag rack label tag holder??

STA’s were originally thought of to provide a way for people to use their doubles plates with single tanks back when neither plates or wings had slots. Now days almost every company has slots in their plates and wings so STA’s in IMO are pretty much obsolete. STA’s move the tank further away from your back and also creates more complexity and a failure point where bolts can loosen, threads can gall, etc.
If only we could come up with some sort of standard for slot spacing on plates and wings like the 11” center holes are, then we’d be in business!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom