STA QUESTION?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why the 2 metal things marked T and B for?????? The sta is integrated into that wing with the 4 ribs to keep the tank center.
The other thing ,,, What is that other metal piece that looks like a USPS bag rack label tag holder??

I would assume "Top," "Bottom," and a pony bracket.

I would assume "Top," "Bottom," and a pony bracket.
I know t and b is top and bottom but the 2 curved plates looks like an attempt to make a DIY sta when it is not needed because of the wing design. No clue how a pony would attach to that label container.

STA’s were originally thought of to provide a way for people to use their doubles plates with single tanks back when neither plates or wings had slots. Now days almost every company has slots in their plates and wings so STA’s in IMO are pretty much obsolete. STA’s move the tank further away from your back and also creates more complexity and a failure point where bolts can loosen, threads can gall, etc.
If only we could come up with some sort of standard for slot spacing on plates and wings like the 11” center holes are, then we’d be in business!

I've got two bolts holding my STA (Deep 6), wing (HOG), and back plate (HOG) together. I had two bolts holding the wing and back plate together before I got the STA, so there's no additional complexity or additional failure points. Checking the bolts is a normal part of my pre-dive routine.

On the "why" I got a STA. It is not a requirement to have a STA with that wing and back plate setup, as with many other BP/W setups. In fact, I ran it without a STA initially. The reason I got the STA is that when I switched from an AL80 to a HP100...the tank channel/support rib on the wing did not provide sufficient support to perfectly orient the HP100.

Regardless of how many times I adjusted the strap, I could not get the HP100 to orient perfectly. It would always be listed a couple degrees one way or the other depending on how I adjusted and ratcheted the straps down and it was an aesthetic (not functional) issue for me.

Strapping the HP100 down on the STA...it orients perfectly the first attempt and I don't have to fuss with the alignment. Again...personal preference. It wasn't oriented poorly enough that it was a functional issue and some people might not have had an issue with it at all.

Well folks it's a home made 1/4inch 12lb plate where the the bender ran out of steam and left a lump

full.jpg

so I welded some threaded rod into some soft pack Ranger Transpac twin tank 1/10 of an inch, 2.5mm
stabilising plates I made and they sit close to my back as need be and make my 15L tank solid as steel

Perhaps one day manyall except the special ones, plates may be made to the bottom ones spec

but definitely not the beautiful gorgeous work of art really labour intensive Sedletzky plate

"Come on crank up that volume!!!!"

So my usps label holder thing amongst other things
I have many and they are also beautiful

full.jpg

There's one in there too

full.jpg

beautiful

Well folks it's a home made 1/4inch 12lb plate where the the bender ran out of steam and left a lump

View attachment 509734

so I welded some threaded rod into some soft pack Ranger Transpac twin tank 1/10 of an inch, 2.5mm
stabilising plates I made and they sit close to my back as need be and make my 15L tank solid as steel

Perhaps one day manyall except the special ones, plates may be made to the bottom ones spec

but definitely not the beautiful gorgeous work of art really labour intensive Sedletzky plate

"Come on crank up that volume!!!!"

So my usps label holder thing amongst other things
I have many and they are also beautiful

View attachment 509735

There's one in there too

View attachment 509748
beautiful
Love the plate. In the winter I use a HammerHead weighted STA to add some extra ballast, when the water is warmer I use a regular STA. I have tried to use sex bolts, book screws, whatever you want to call them but the tank sits on top of of the heads and makes the tank support in the wing pretty much ineffective. What happens is between the thickness of the gromet and the head of the screw, the tank sits on top of those two pieces and can wobble. Maybe it's only an issue with my HOG wig?

Back
Top Bottom