STA: Yea or Nea?

STA: Yea or Nea?

• Yea

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Nea

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some suggest that with certain backplate / wing combinations there is no need for a STA. Some suggest that you should always use a STA.

Yea or Nea? What combination are you using?

For context I have on order a Hog SS BP + 32lb wing for my son, no STA.

I went with a DSS BP. No STA needed

STA only adds stability to your setup. I like mine and use it. Either will do fine, whats your preference?

apeks says i don't need the sta but i get some tank roll w/out it so i use it....

my AL BP set up is an Apeks BP w/single web harness, my SS BP set up is an NESS BP w/ DR deluxe harness.

As long as the plate has cam slots, you don't NEED an STA, but STA's do make it easier in some aspects, like ease of placing on the tank, or for switching between singles and doubles quickly.

I use a APEKS SS BP and do not use a STA. Tank is stable with no roll. I don't need the extra weight of the STA and I like having the tank closer to my back, which some say reduces the turtle leverage.

The DSS and HOG wings have built in devices to keep the tank from rolling and both work quite well with everything from lp72's to lp95's in my experience. They do make it easy to swap tanks. I've used both and now also sell one. When you get your wing you'll see what I mean.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

As long as the plate has cam slots, you don't NEED an STA, but STA's do make it easier in some aspects, like ease of placing on the tank, or for switching between singles and doubles quickly.

This is the reason I use a STA, I use a HOG wing and don't need it but it does make it much easier to swap tanks especially on a rocking boat. I just find it to be a pain to get the BP, Wing and tank all lined up and the bands tight. With the STA it can't be crooked because it is all bolted together. I don't notice a difference with or with out, probably because I dive a drysuit with a ton of weight, it may be more noticeable in thin exposure protection and no lead.

One of the reasons I use sex bolts to hold the HOG wing on the plate. Not needed but easier to use and cheaper than a STA. I did the same with my DSS plates and wings after the rubber locators wore out after switching wings a number of times. And you only need to use one really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom