STA: Yea or Nea?

STA: Yea or Nea?

• Yea

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Nea

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use STAs on both my warm and cold water rigs. I use Oxycheq Mach V wings so don't "need" to use an STA. Have dove without using and works fine. Now use STAs mainly because Im a gear freak, it does have the added bonus of making rinsing easier (disassembly) and tank and wing line up a little easier on a rocking boat. Oh and my AGIR plate does not have slots so no choice there. But to be honest Im ok either way given the choice.

I use a Dive Rite aluminum BP with a weighted STA for cold water diving. When I travel, I remove the STA and have a nice light rig for packing.

I did have an Oxycheq setup.While you dont need an STA, I found it to be a PITA when changing tanks and trying to get everything lined back up straight, and tightened. Having my DR rig now, with an STA, couldn't be any easier; love it!

I have Halcyon, and I like the STA because I can put 6lbs of lead out of the way. However, with this BP, I don't believe that there is a choice to not use it for singles.

STAs are necessary if you have a plate with no camband slots. As stated, they also make life easier if you want to switch back and forth between single and double tanks on a regular basis (threading cambands through a plate eventually gets to be a pain). Most people I know just buy another plate . . .

An STA is also a way to add weight to a plate easily, if you don't have the DSS plates that accept weight plates.

I don't use an STA. I have DSS and HOG wings that hold the tank very securely, so I don't need one. It's just one more piece of equipment to lose or not have the bolts for . . .

I have a hog and a scubapro singles wing, both of which can be used without the STA. I prefer having it as it's an additional ~2lbs of negative buoyancy that I don't have to put on my waist and it moves the tank valve away from the back of my head by a couple of inches. No real good reason not to have it if you are going to carry 2lbs of lead anyway.

One of the reasons I use sex bolts to hold the HOG wing on the plate. Not needed but easier to use and cheaper than a STA. I did the same with my DSS plates and wings after the rubber locators wore out after switching wings a number of times. And you only need to use one really.

I did try this but the sxe bolts sat to high and the tank would sit on them instead of being held by the cradle in the wing. Maybe the sex bolts I was using have a taller head than the ones you use? I would like this option but it just did not seam to work for me.

I have a Dive Rite SS Plate with a hog style harness. My wing is a Oxycheq Mach V and there is no tank roll with my setup. I have considered getting a STA just for ease of switching tanks. Even though I use sex bolts for my wing, sometimes I have a hard time getting my plate straight on my tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom