Staged Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a terminology perspective, this is much simpler that you all are making it.

"Staged Decompression" means that you are making decompression stops, in stages (steps, if you will)...often involving gas switches, which would come from a deco bottle.

A "stage bottle" is a cylinder that you use during the bottom portion of the dive as a way of extending bottom time. Using a stage can require different planning depending on your environment and the way it is used. Also known as a bottom stage.

A "deco bottle" is a cylinder that you use during the decompression portion of your dive.

A deco bottle is not a stage and vice versa.

"Staged" and "Stage" have nothing to do with each other. One is a verb, the other is a noun.

The terminology defines the purpose and procedures that go along with the equipment. A deco bottle and a stage bottle can look identical, but their usage is very different.

I certainly agree with you Aaron, but I doubt the rest of this board sees these definitions this way. Also its not clear to me what the OP was trying to ask about...

so wait...."staged decompression" isn't when you just act like you're off-gassing?

So if I "stage" a "deco" bottle, I can answer the op question from experience?

"Staged Decompression" means that you are making decompression stops, in stages (steps, if you will)...often involving gas switches, which would come from a deco bottle.
I agree with Soggy here.

-----

Mike

reefraff:
One thing is for sure, there is a lot of off-gassing going on in this thread. :wink:
This whole thread seems rather staged to me. :eyebrow:

-----

Mike.

miketsp:
As far as I'm concerned if your deco gas is in a separate cylinder that's a stage deco cylinder irrespective if you carry it with you or drop it off for later recovery.

Example of items from some advertised technical courses

"All divers will be taught with a stage cylinder of bottom mix or with a stage cylinder of decompression mix if the Instructor elects not to incorporate stage dives into the Program."

"A stage decompression cylinder containing oxygen or an EAN mixture with at least 50% oxygen, and appropriately labeled. (Technical Cave Diver Program only)."

"Demonstrate either on a cave dive or confined water the ability to drop and recover a stage cylinder. This may be the tank used as a decompression tank or an actual penetration stage cylinder."

And finally, much as I hate to quote it, Wikpedia has a nice definition:
"Divers doing technical diving often carry different gases, each in a separate cylinder, for each phase of the dive:

travel gas - a cylinder holding gas for use during the descent - typically a nitrox with a medium oxygen partial pressure
bottom gas - a cylinder holding gas for use at depth - typically a helium-based gas with a low oxygen partial pressure
stage - a cylinder holding gas for use at the decompression stop - typically nitrox with a high oxygen partial pressure."
Nothing like getting your diving education from Wikipedia....

Soggy:
From a terminology perspective, this is much simpler that you all are making it.

A "stage bottle" is a cylinder that you use during the bottom portion of the dive as a way of extending bottom time. Using a stage can require different planning depending on your environment and the way it is used. Also known as a bottom stage.

A "deco bottle" is a cylinder that you use during the decompression portion of your dive.

A deco bottle is not a stage and vice versa.

"Staged" and "Stage" have nothing to do with each other. One is a verb, the other is a noun.

The terminology defines the purpose and procedures that go along with the equipment. A deco bottle and a stage bottle can look identical, but their usage is very different.
That pretty darn close to what I said in my first post... I think deco bottles have been referred to as stage bottles for so long....I swear more often then not, people call them stages...when in reality they're deco bottles.. Cheers

Again i find myself grovelling to your differing angles of answering the OP haha...which i admit now, from what i have read, is a little misguided and a little vague as to what im asking about, for this i apologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom