Standards deficiencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butch103 once bubbled...
I have never carried one ( right or wrong) so I am curious. For the surface marker?
A safety reel (or spool) properly used can absolutely eliminate getting lost in low visibility. For example, you can tie off on the anchor line and run your safety line to the site - and if you miss the site you can get back to the anchor line by using your safety line even if the current or a piece of steel shipwreck that screws up your compass messes with your brain's picture of where you are.
Everyone I know who has actually carried and used a safety reel a few times won't dive without one now.
E. itajara
PS Oh, yes, you can use one to send up a marker from your safety stop too if you want to. (a spool's easier to use for this)

I agree on the usefullness of a reel or spool but reel use is one of those things that troubles even tech students for a while. We have some real fun with this. I'm not against introducing it early but it's certainly something to introduce after a student has a good handle on general technique. If trim, buoyancy control, finning technique and awareness are lacking it's folly to add a reel to the equation, IMO. Which is one reason why some dives should be concidered beyond the novice until they gain some experience and/or additional training.

Makes perfect sense, although I fail to see why anyone would dive in such visability that you cannot see where you are going or coming from..(except in certain situations, penetration dives, caves etc.)...Guess I still have a lot to learn.

Mike ..What are the issues using a reel that cause problems?..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom