Started my AOW course today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joel smith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is dive #15 did the peak performance buoyancy first , this was a great dive I went from using 12 lbs of lead to only 2 lbs feels great. Doing the deep dive tomorrow.

Wow. Only two pounds. With my 7 mil I have to use 24lbs, and with a drysuit its 34 lbs. Would be nice to only need a few pounds. Unfortunetly I'm extremely buoyant without a wetsuit.

Unfortunetly I'm extremely buoyant without a wetsuit.

I know that feeling. That's what 30 years and 40 pounds will do to a guy.

Wow!!! That's a huge drop in weight! Congratulations. I use about 22 pounds with a 5mil farmer john. I would bet I could drop some weight too after some more experience. I hope your class goes well!

I dove with a 5 mm wet suite, 7 mm hood , 3 mm gloves , 5 mm boots, Worthington steel 100. Only need 2 lbs to dive with this setup. I have a very good instructer that teaches alot on buoyancy. Tomorrow night Iwill be doing my night dive I will be using the same equiptment except Iwill be using a al 80 , I am sure my weight will go up. Also I forgot to mention I weigh 220.

WOW did my night dive last night , 68 degress water on bottom , used the same equiptment except I used a aluminum 80. This tank required me to add another 6 lbs. of weight so I needed 8 lbs total for this dive. It is totally another world at night. Tryed to do some nav skills didnt do so well. I really like steel tanks. Doing the deep dive next. O yea the dive lasted 59 minutes.

With 7 mil farmer john 36 pounds with steel tank, 42 with aluminum (salt water). When I started AOW (dive #7) my instructor couldn't believe I needed that much, but saw that I did. Hasn't changed in over 200 dives and my buoyancy has always been good.

Wow, that's a lot. I'm about 12 lbs less at 7mil/salt water but I'm a 'sinker'. Fresh water with no wetsuit I'm overweighted at 0 pounds.

One thing I have noticed: I need more weight when its colder. Its more of a struggle to relax and get to a normal breath. And I see you're from Nova Scotia.... :)

Ever tried your buoyancy in warm water? I wonder if you would need less.

I also wonder about the BC - all that foam padding and pockets. What brand are you using?

- Dack

Dack, I'm using an old Genesis BC. For warm salt water I need 18 with shortie and AL 80. Need 13 with body suit and AL 80.

My buoyancy with just a bathing suit: I can float on my back OK in salt water. In fresh water my legs sink like stones, and I had a heck of a time with the required water "treading/floating". Makes no sense re my weighting on scuba, eh?

Back
Top Bottom