Starter Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend the Suunto Zooo, easy to use, big screen and in my experience at least diving in Egypt they are a very popular choice for shops to rent out (or its predecessor the Gekko) so everyone seems to know how to use them, which, although you should take the time to familiarize yourself with it, could be useful.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2013 at 05:39 PM ----------

Correction 'Suunto Zoop'!

I think he is referring to the fact that some open water courses are now done only with computers and no dive tables.

That's exactly what i meant my local dive shop does not teach tables anymore all classes use dive computers now. And i plan on being more of an active diver. I will be moving to Jacksonville in the beginning of next year.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2013 at 10:25 PM ----------

Thanks to everyone. I think i will go talk to my open water instructor and see if he can teach me tables. From what I read most of the more experienced divers feel it is an important skill to learn. While also using a computer.

While I didn't regret learning tables, it didn't teach the underlying info. of how nitrogen loading works, tissue compartments, decompression illness, etc... It just presented a different set of NDL limits which were identified in a different way and assumed square profiles, which caused dive times for typical multi-level reef dives to be cut needlessly short.

If the OP is interested, there are a number of threads on the forum hotly debating the value of tables in diving.

Richard.

Then they were not taught properly. I learned it in my PADI OW class. The instructor taught it. Wasn't in the book like he taught it as I recall but it's in my notes.

SEI has powerpoints for the OW class that cover it. If they ever say I can't teach tables I'll stop teaching recreational classes. There are still places that do not have computers in their rental gear and some divers still are not using them. I don't recommend them to my OW divers. They should at least be gone over. It doesn't take that much time if the student has even a basic grasp of math. Course that does not seem to be saying much these days with slackers that can't make change if the cash register dies.

Rich, is it possible that you are not realizing the value of the tables even to yourself. I have read many of your posts and you seem to have a good understanding of dive physiology. I wonder if you are under estimating how tables helped you to obtain that knowledge.

I likewise rely on my computer very heavily but my understanding of the tables allows me to understand why my computer is telling me what it is telling me and certainly should I get a value that doesn't seem right it is my understanding of tables that allows me to identify that error and work around it.

As a physician I use very little information that I learned in my first 2 years at the medical school however had I not had that basis I would not be in the position to understand the things I currently use today.

Been mulling this over with an eye toward making it relevant also to the OP. My thoughts on tables in this context:

1.) Tables don't teach decompression illness. They are a device to figure out NDL for dives, all of which are treated as square profile dives (which many wreck dives and some tech. dives are, but most 'multi-level' reef dives are not). Tables do give you a columnar table plotting dive depth against time so you can find an NDL, and see how quickly your NDL drops as you dive deeper &/or longer. Good to quickly gauge how long you might have on a known dive plan (e.g.: 130' on the Oriskany, or 120' on a sand tiger shark populated wreck off North Carolina), without having to know how to enter a plan into a computer.

2.) Tables also provide 'Pressure Groups.' With your NDL you get a pressure group, identified by a letter, that you can plot against your surface interval to factor residual nitrogen from dive 1 into figuring out your NDL for dive 2.

3.) My knowledge of human physiology is rooted in past science courses, plus some of what I was taught in the PADI Rescue Diver Course, and on this forum. From this forum, I was informed that nitrogen narcosis can symptomatically impact some sensitive people surprisingly shallow (e.g.: 70 feet per one report, I think), that different body compartments load & expel nitrogen at different rates, that nitrogen bubbles can form in the spinal cord & put you in a wheel chair, etc... I am told that Mark Powell's Deco for Divers is, I think, THE reference for decompression for recreational divers (per a post stating so by TS&M). I haven't read it as yet.

3.) The main lesson tables showed me was the idea of how depth limited time, about how sharply, and how this carried over to repetitive dives. Which can be valuable, depending on what kind of diving you do. But real world experience doing mainly shore dives in Bonaire, and Caribbean boat dives and local Kentucky quarry dives, has shown me on an AL80, I don't get real close to NDLs as I'm gas-limited. I usually dive nitrox in Bonaire, which offers longer NDLs, but on a Deep Diver course to 130', reviewing the computer info. after download later, I was surprised at how I didn't push NDL much on that dive (with air, due to depth).

4.) Basically, what I'm saying is that most vacation divers doing 2 tank boat dives up to an hour apiece aren't likely to hit an NDL. People with excellent SAC rates/low consumption, or diving deep with unusually large tanks (like the 120 cf steels with Living Underwater in Cozumel, or charter boats to deep wrecks), or on a heavy dive schedule (e.g.: 4 - 5 per day) shore diving Bonaire or on a Live-aboard (particularly if not using nitrox), on the other hand, could.

5.) From what I've learned here, Technical diving is a different animal - dives are more precisely planned with less lee-way to make an unplanned 20 foot drop to look at that octopus, etc... A number of tech. divers don't use air-integration (some seem a bit hostile to it) and run their computers in gauge mode, basically the opposite of 'follow the leader' with a computer spoon feeding you NDLs. Tech. diving also tends to be substantially more expensive than regular rec. diving, and I think most rec. divers never get into tech. So I don't think the possibility of tech. diving in a few years should determine choices now (unless you want to get into a back-plate/wing setup?).

Thing is, when I did my PADI OW course academic portion (late '05), I got the AIR RDP (table) and a booklet that taught us how to use the table. Anyone who wants to learn how to dive tables doesn't require a course or an instructor to learn.

Though I don't calculate dive times with my tables, I have them for air & EAN 32 & EAN 36, and plan to hold onto them.

Richard.

Another vote for the Hollis DG03. Just picked one up with the bungee mount from Divegearexpress.com to use as a second bottom timer for tech. Not the most intuitive computer to set, but once you get the hang of it it's all the computer you'll ever need at an amazing price! Also, it has user replaceable batteries, a big plus if you plan to travel. Nothing like a dead battery on day one of a trip to kill the fun!!!

In terms of the tables vs computers debate, learning the tables for particle purposes (although a viable backup for dive computers) personally does NOT teach decompression theory and its underlying principles. That's a whole separate can or worms, but one definitely worth learning if you plan to continue further in diving. IF you wish to learn the tables in order to learn the theory, be sure to tell your instructor that. Personally, I believe the tables should be taught as a simple consequence of the theory, building up from the basics of decompression theory to the modern day no decompression repetitive dive tables. HOWEVER, most instructors probably won't teach it that way....

I think Drrich has a valid point. Someone better read on the dive accident analysis may have better info, but looking back on my dive career, the most likely place to hit the NDL is on the boat. Most divers (not all) do not have the SAC to hit NDL on a single dive. 60 minutes of air at 60 fsw is a lot of air and most divers won't com close to it on a single dive. It is the surface intervals that will get you into trouble.

Cutting a surface interval by half an hour can have a significant impact on your projected bottom time. To me that is the valuable lesson that working the tables can show. For most recreational diving and divers in 85-90% of typical RECREATIONAL dives the use of a computer is needed so that in the other ~10% of dives they have the good habits that prevent them from getting bent.

If your computer dies on the first of 3 dives on a dive vacation to Bonaire, you might want to switch over to tables for the rest of the day and have your 12hr surface interval overnight. A replacement computer won't give accurate for calculating NDL so it will be only useful as a gauge and a timer.

For the OP, go cheap and include the functions that you think you will use in the foreseeable future. The technology only gets better and cheaper over time, so paying extra for features that will be standard in five years just makes it more expensive and confusing to learn/use.

+1 for the cheap puck computers for a beginner.
As other's stated, you can't beat the little $200ish 2-gas nitrox puck computers. Several companies make them.

I'd say Puck. By the time you may decide the more advanced diving is an interest to you, there will likely be things available that render the current suggestions equivalent to an "introductory' computer. The cost of a computer will become peanuts to the other things involved.

I'm going to second the Subgear XP10. One of the reasons I bought one was because it had two buttons and not just one. It MAY be just out of your price range though at $325, but I use Nitrox and this guy lets me calculate it in 1% increments. (Even set it up and dove with an odd ball 27% Nitrox once with no problems.)

The second review given on the Leisure Pro site is mine.

Sub Gear XP10 Wrist Dive Computer | LeisurePro

Edit: for what it's worth, this dive comp uploads to your desktop/laptop through infrared and not through physical connections. This is another reason I opted for the XP10 four years ago.

Also, I see that Amazon has them for $300 even.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom