starter regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also employing @Bob DBF 's model (different brand).

I scoured the interwebs for specials on a particular make and model of reg sets for my family. The only reason I chose the model I did was that it was what we got certified on and my wife requested to change as little as possible. They would probably get listed under some banner of entry or starter. A bit of a misnomer but it is what it is. My thought has been to run them into the ground. Sell them for cheap and then buy the wife a new reg set at that time. Our diving career has been short but fairly active. The reg sets have already paid for themselves in offset rental fees.

The problem with a "starter" reg is that in 2 years time you will need to service it regardless of use and that will incur a cost that approximates the amount you will have initially spent on the reg set.

So instead, spend way, way more and then have an even higher service charge. Yeah, that sounds right - not.

@MasterControl007 I got a reliable 1st & 2nd stage when I first took OW. I still use it. It's been in 42°F water at 130' and breathed perfectly. And it's simple to service yourself. Parts are available for about $15 and the service manual is on line.

Cressi XS2/AC2 Piston Regulator

Add a Cressi XS octo and you're done.

Cressi XS Octopus

So instead, spend way, way more and then have an even higher service charge. Yeah, that sounds right - not.

I don't know where you get your service done but all the places I have been to charge a relatively flat rate per stage plus parts kits. I have not found that higher end regulators have more expensive parts kits...in fact it is quite the opposite because the higher end models tend to be supported longer by the manufacturer than the lower end models. From a cost/value perspective it is often better to invest in a better product that will retain its serviceability and value over a longer period of time....you will be able to sell a 5 year old Mares MR52 regulator much easier and potentially for more money than you would a 5 year old Aqualung Calypso. But you can think and do what you want.

Cheers,
-Z

i am just returning to the hobby and can dive only say around 6-8x a year due to time constraints. also thinking if its practical to get a BC or just rent
If you're diving infrequently, and are not sure what to get then I would highly recommend renting both the Regulator and BCD. I rented for my first year or two of diving.

Obviously scuba gear is expensive to buy. What a lot of new divers don't consider is that it's also expensive to maintain. For example, no matter what regulator you buy you're probably going to have to put $100-$200 every year or two into maintaining it. Your bcd will need maintenance on the power inflator (maybe other parts if you buy a fancy one). In the case of the bcd, it's mostly just checking stuff out to see if it needs replacement except the power inflator. You'll either want to service it (clean and lube) or just replace it (I do this since it's less than $20 for a new one).

You've also got to store and clean gear that you own. You don't want to leave that $800 bcd sitting in the sun behind your house.

Also, renting gives you the opportunity to try different brands. That way when you're ready to buy you might have some preferences toward one brand or another.

Shops around here charge under $50 to rent a set of gear. If you're doing 8 dives (4 boat trips?) a year that's like $200 for rental fees. Probably close to just the maintenance cost of a regulator.

Travel for diving is far easier if you don't have to pack gear. Some folks that own their stuff still rent when traveling.

Drawbacks of course are that you're less familiar with the specific gear you're renting. Some shops do a great job maintaining their rental gear, others don't. Also, most shops rent low end or middle of the road equipment. I've only encountered a couple that have top of the line stuff in their rental fleet.

If diving infrequently, I'd imagine you will not wish to spend a lot of money but it is worth going for a regulator that has all the features you might ever want as it will likely last a long time.

I have the Aqualung Legend and the Atomic T3. The T3 is without a doubt, the best you can get BUT the cost is not worth it if you do not dive frequently. The Aqualung Legend is another VERY good regulator and easy to service worldwide, in 5 years of owning it, only needed to pay for service and therefore service kits, but otherwise no extra costs involved. I have dived in 4deg (C) water up to 38deg (C) water and it performs very well.

One person suggested you start by looking at local servicing options. That is a very good suggestion but if you have time to send it away for servicing, maybe not necessary. However, finding a trustworthy person locally to service is a huge piece of mind when dealing with the most important part of your kit.

If travelling worldwide for your diving, I would recommend you go for a big brand, such as Aqualung, rather than Sherwood, Cressi or Diverite which may not be supported on small islands/foreign destinations, whereas I have seen Aqualung (Apeks is also aqualung) or Scubapro EVERYWHERE.

Aqualung Legend or Aqualung Titan are decent models as well.

Aqualung is a world class manufacture and I sell them three to four times as often as I sell other brands...combined. But I would never call the Legend nor the Titan decent models.

The Titan is an Unbalance 1st and 2nd Stage. I recommend unbalanced regulators only for small children since they have depth limits that are very shallow or for cheap divers who feel saving a few dollars is worth the least performing type of regulator design.

The Legend is the flagship of Aqualung. It has an Overbalanced 1st Stage and a Balance 2nd Stage with optional air flow adjustments. But as good of a design the Legnd is I would not recommend it a a starter regulator set.

I recommend to my diving community (approximately 200+ new divers annually) always spend a little more and get a Balanced 1st & 2nd Stage. Octos can be unbalanced as they are for an emergency only and the dive is over at that point. But most serious divers usually either get matched Balance October or a second matching 2nd stage regulator.

Here are my suggestions:

Atomic Z3 - One of the best engineered regulators on the market. While it is recommended service intervals of 3 years or 300 dives, it was designed to 5 year intervals / 500 dives. This is what I bought my wife when she got certified. I dive with the B2 for personal dives. Not the least expensive. But the best for the money. If there is a drawback it would be service part could be challenging to find outside the US (but not impossible).

Aqualung Core - For a starter regulator Aqualung got this one right. Balanced 1st & 2nd Stages that are basic in design yet function great. This is the model I have in my rental fleet and it performs really nicely at 66 ft (20m or 3 ATAs) or at 132 ft (40m or 5 ATAs). The Automatic Closure Device on the 1st stage is nice for new divers who might forget put the dust cap on during cleaning. The ACD keeps the 1st Stage water tight until placing the regulator on a tank which opens the ACD when the thumb screw is tightened. One of the easiest brands to get serviced worldwide; service intervals are 200 dives or 2 years. My top seller to new divers.

Scuba Pro - The third model I would recommend is the MK21 / S520. These are a slightly de-engineered version of the MK25/S600 regulators but with a few less features and about $150-$200 less. Great regulator for new divers who dive a lot (which might not be the best model for the OP who said they were not diving much). Typical service interval of 200 dives or 2 years. Another brand that has worldwide recognition and easily serviced.

These are my recommendations for a new diver.
Other brands, either I do not have anything nice to say or little to no experience with them.

Atomic's Z2 breathes identically to the T3 and is 1/3 the cost with the a 2 year/300 dive service interval - the price difference in their line is what exotic metal is used. Also should you let the service lapse - the warranty coverage is re-instated when you do get it serviced. $440

Add a 3rd year and 2nd stage swivel and it's the Z3 at around $560?

As others have said, buy something you can get serviced locally. In your area - and regional travel - it might say Aqualung on the front cover.

Aqualung Titan's are good affordable regs at $370 - same basic design has been around for decades. Most AL products have a paid 1st year inspection/2nd year service requirement.

Here in the US a current deal is last years Aqualung Mikron - the new 2018 model is closing them out. It's also a lightweight travel reg. >$350

Deep6 is the current darling here since they provide a service kit with each reg for those that do that. I doubt they have a dealer in Singapore yet though - the model here is to send it back to Georgia (state) for service - I doubt that's an option for you.

The other option is buy an inexpensive brand name reg and dive it till it breaks - you can get a new Scubapro MK2/R195 for about $340 US. Classic downstream so even if it fails it will deliver some air to get you to the surface. Only a single HP port which can be a problem if you want both a computer transmitter AND backup SPG

If DIN is popular in your area - all these prices are about $40-50 less.

Much of the Cressi line is under $350 - some models around $200 or less. I'm not familiar with the line but at $200 not worth servicing - just buy a new one every couple of years - here in the US I pay just over $100 per service.

A few years ago Aqualung split the Titan line into two distinct models; unbalanced Titans and balanced Cores. In my opinion Titans are not worth buying compared to the Core.

IMHO there is no starter reg. A reg is a reg. Some have more features and some cost more. As much as I hate to admit it some of our regs do not get as much use as they should. As such, I like regs that can go 3-4 years before needing service and can be worked on locally. Which for me happens in my basement.

By worked on locally I mean all that might need to be done is check to make sure everything is working properly vs being fully overhauled.

For the OP please define what you mean by 6-8x times a year. Does that mean weekend trips doing a couple of dives each day or total dives period?

Also do not be afraid of buying used gear. Half of my regs were originally used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom