Starting Classes Tomorrow - Advice Needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what do you guys think about the 3mm wetsuit in Hawaii? I don't mind getting another wetsuit but a 7mm would likely be too much, right? I do not get cold at all in the pool but the water is definitely warm.

Different people have different cold tolerances. I am probably somewhere in the middle. For me, a 3mm suit is not enough by itself in Hawaii, and a 7mm wold be too much. A 5 mm would be more to my liking, and that is what I would take if I were heading there today.

When I was there last, I wore a 3mm suit with a 3mm vest for the first few days I was there, and I was feeling just a tad on the nippy side. Then one day I realized I had left the vest at the condo, but I did have a 5mm hood. I found the 3mm suit with the hood was actually warmer than the 3mm suit with the 3mm vest. I was just fine with it.

:confined: Finished my pool sessions tonight! Hooray!

Honestly, it's a little bittersweet because I am sort of sad that classes are over for now. I looked forward to every class and will miss being at the pool every week. On the bright side, I only have to wait ten days until my open water dives. The exact location is TBD but no matter where it is, it is going to be cold! I am really looking forward to it - cold and all, it will be awesome to get in the ocean finally! Yay!!!

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 01:34 AM ----------

Last I heard, water temps around here were in the mid-40's...! Yikes!

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 01:38 AM ----------

It looks like today in Boston the water was almost 49 degrees and getting a little better with the warm weather :)

Congrats on finishing your pool sessions!

Unfortunately, the water is still chilly but slowly getting warmer. There are some places that have already started doing their open water checkouts in wetsuits. My best advice is to take off the wetsuit as soon as possible and get warm when you're out of the water. Another helpful thing is a cooler of warm water that you can soak your hood and gloves in between dives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 01:34 AM ----------

Last I heard, water temps around here were in the mid-40's...! Yikes!

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 01:38 AM ----------

It looks like today in Boston the water was almost 49 degrees and getting a little better with the warm weather :)

Congrats on finishing your pool sessions. And I can't wait for mid-40s water temps. I've done open waters the past two weekends and the water temp has been 39 degrees. It will probably be pretty close to that this weekend too.

Congrats on finishing your pool sessions. And I can't wait for mid-40s water temps. I've done open waters the past two weekends and the water temp has been 39 degrees. It will probably be pretty close to that this weekend too.

Wow! That is certainly cold... I won't lie, I am a little bit nervous about the temperature, but still really excited. The plan is to wear a 7mm wetsuit, 3mm vest, hood, and I am assuming gloves as well. I hope it will be enough! One of the instructors also suggested bringing a big thermos of hot water (thanks lewisevans!), which sounds good to me.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 01:52 PM ----------

It will be a whole new adventure :)

Wow! That is certainly cold... I won't lie, I am a little bit nervous about the temperature, but still really excited. The plan is to wear a 7mm wetsuit, 3mm vest, hood, and I am assuming gloves as well. I hope it will be enough! One of the instructors also suggested bringing a big thermos of hot water (thanks lewisevans!), which sounds good to me.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 01:52 PM ----------

It will be a whole new adventure :)

If the water is mid-40s, it will be cold! No way around it. Make sure you do not get cold/chilled before the dive hanging around setting up gear and while suiting up.

Bring 2 one gallon jugs of hot water (hot tap water works just fine). Wrap them in a towel or blanket to keep them warm. They will stay warm enough until you need them. Use one for each dive. Half just before you get in, half for when you get out. Bring more if you want to rinse after the whole day. Pretty easy to go through 2 gal of water. It feels great to rinse off the salt with a nice warm douse of water after a cold dive. You'll be glad you brought them.

Good luck. Have fun!

Can't wait to do my certification dives this weekend - it's going to be a blast! Yay, so psyched!

I did the practice session one more time this week and one thing I found super helpful was filming myself. I just put my GoPro on the bottom of the pool at an angle, it was really easy. Watching all the video really made me notice all the things I am doing wrong very quickly! I had no idea how much I've been using my arms to 'stabilize' my position in the water, so now it's something to be aware of and remember not to do. I also am going through my tanks way too fast - I could hear myself in some of the videos and I am breathing very quickly so I've also got to keep that in mind and count during my breaths.

Huge thank you to my dive center (now that I know you have seen this thread haha) - you guys are awesome! :)

I did two dives for the first time last Sunday- 39F here too. Ran into an OW course from our shop. Ocean checkout dives start here first week of April. A interesting introduction to scuba... In the late Fall we sometimes bring a huge cooler in the truck full of hot water. Good for the feet & you can throw boots/mitts in ther in between the 2 dives. Not needed as much now, as air temps. usually in the 60sF, or 70 if lucky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom