Starting out with bp&w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first moved to one, I was worried. Compared to a jacket style BC, they look like a torture device. I quickly learned, however, that the backplate with even the simplest single-piece webbing was as, if not more, comfortable than my old jacket style BC.

I am looking for my first BP/W too. Any suggestions for complete/simple/cheap systems from European suppliers? Tecline was suggested to me but their set includes 2*weight pockets, 2* trim pockets and a strap pocket rising their price to 480 euros or so. I don't think I need any of these so I am looking for something simpler and cheaper.
I'd go for aluminum plate (due to traveling) and 17kg/37lbs wing. Is 17kg too much? I usually dive with 5mm wet suit, 15lt steel tank and 5-6 kg on my weight belt or occasionally with 3/5mm wet suit, 11.1lt aluminum and 5-8kg on weight belt. I was told that 15kg of lift would be marginally ok for 15lt steel tanks - 17 kg of lift would be better. Any thoughts?
Thanks

I recall @Jim Lapenta used to have some kind of written BP&W primer he would offer to people seeking a comprehensive introduction.

hog makes an inexpensive bp&w that i put students in. you may like the deluxe harness but ive been perfectly happy with a simple one piece webbing. as for comfort, what the others have said, even when doing training dives in the pool with trunks on and no shirt, ive had no problems with comfort.

I am looking for my first BP/W too. Any suggestions for complete/simple/cheap systems from European suppliers? Tecline was suggested to me but their set includes 2*weight pockets, 2* trim pockets and a strap pocket rising their price to 480 euros or so. I don't think I need any of these so I am looking for something simpler and cheaper.
I'd go for aluminum plate (due to traveling) and 17kg/37lbs wing. Is 17kg too much? I usually dive with 5mm wet suit, 15lt steel tank and 5-6 kg on my weight belt or occasionally with 3/5mm wet suit, 11.1lt aluminum and 5-8kg on weight belt. I was told that 15kg of lift would be marginally ok for 15lt steel tanks - 17 kg of lift would be better. Any thoughts?
Thanks
I normally use 12L steel with 7mm + 5mm wetsuit and 30 pounds wing and it is just comfortable in the surface in rough Atlantic waves. I would not go with less.

For you, I would suggest a 20-25 pound wing. Halcyon is very good if you can afford it but there are good alternatives like tecline, XDeep, dir zone. Don’t get Apeks wing

Many of us thought that a BP/W would be more uncomfortable than a padded jacket, especially given the idea of a steel plate against you back and something called a "crotch strap" between your legs. To me, it was absolutely astonishing how comfortable it was. When you think about it, it's not like you are lying down on the plate; it rests against your back with no pressure--at least when you're in the diving position. Same with the webbing: when you're in the diving position, a properly adjusted harness is surprisingly loose and doesn't bind or pinch.

The only scenario in which a BP/W can be uncomfortable is when there is a long walk on land to do. Even in that case, some people find that a little padding on the shoulder straps is enough to restore comfort.

Dive Rite has been making and selling longer than anyone. I personally have steel, aluminum and one in abs plastic. ..just depends on what am doing.

Nothing wrong with the single piece webbing harness, I prefer the deluxe padded /adjustable harness that they offer on the trans-plate.

Because they have been selling for so long, it's not hard to find good used ones.

I also have 4 different brands of wings. I like the Dive Rite one the best.

Back
Top Bottom