Starting Tech - Side-mount or Back-mount Questions

If starting Tech today would you choose

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Should I pick one discipline and focus on that (i.e. SM and never do BM), or start BM and then progress to SM?
2. Is BM becoming rare/outdated (in Australia)?
3. If I choose BM to begin should I chose a regulator set that is good for both (i.e. Apeks DST W XTX50)?
1. I would say choose one and stick to it for awhile (a season at least), as it is easier to develop mastery that way. For example the sequence to kit up, basic procedures like inflating or dumping gas, comfort in the water, correcting repeated mistakes, etc. Unless you have a specific environment in mind or specific limitations to overcome, I think BM is the more straightforward one to start with.

2. BM is still very much alive as far as I can see from my ozzy friends instagrams, except for Mt Gambier. I wouldn't consider SM course availability an indication of what people actually dive.

3. Yes, a turret first stage with fifth port works equally well for both without compromises for either one. Apeks and Scubapro make a SM package that has almost everything you need out of the box for both SM and BM (fifth ports, hoses, SPGs, etc).

Before doing a tec course I recommend doing some dives with whatever system you want to use. If you are really keen on SM, learn how to do it for recreational dives first. Especially with SM, there is a lot of fiddling involved to get everything just right. BM is easier in the sense it takes less fiddling, and the transition from a single BM tank to doubles usually doesn't take too long. In either case, make sure you are good on the basics (weighting, buoyancy, trim) before starting a tec course. Also make sure to discuss this with your instructor, he / she might be able to provide more local insights.
In general I would say BM is easier to start with.

No idea about the popularity in Australia, but one advantage of SM is that in some regions doubles aren't really available, so SM is the easiest way to set up a technical rig. If this is the case, you might be better off with SM. Again, talk to your instructor.

As far as the regs go, I agree with the Apeks DST with 5th port. They can be used in any scenario (SM, BM, stage reg) and perform well.

I started diving with doubles in BM, in the seventies. That was normal diving, at the time, and there was no distinction between "rec" and "tech" diving, as we were certified down to 50m with deco.
In those scenarios, which are now considered "tech", BM rules. A compact double tank is actually lighter, slimmer, and more streamlined than a single tank of same capacity. So learning to use them can be useful not only for "tech" diving, but also for normal "rec" diving.
Said that, there are some cases where side mounting (or "no mounting") is required, as you need to pass through narrow passages and to swap tanks. It happened to me just a couple of times in my life to do such kind of dives, as I considered them generally too dangerous and not worth the effort and the risk.
In the most extreme cases I had to use "no mount", that is pushing the tank with your hands in front of you, inside the narrow tunnel.
I consider these extreme cases the exception, not the rule. It is good to receive some training for managing such cases, but if starting tech diving (which in substance is the same as normal diving at my times, that is breathing air down to 56m maximum and with deco), then I would suggest the same setup we were using at the time: a 10+10l steel double tank, two regs, a normal BP+Wing (the same you use with a single) and there you go.
When you will need to progress to an higher level of tech diving (helium mixtures, separate high-oxygen tank for deco, cave, etc.) then it will be the moment to evaluate side mount as a valid alternative. But not for "1st level" tech, which is what I explained above.

Before doing a tec course I recommend doing some dives with whatever system you want to use. If you are really keen on SM, learn how to do it for recreational dives first. Especially with SM, there is a lot of fiddling involved to get everything just right. BM is easier in the sense it takes less fiddling, and the transition from a single BM tank to doubles usually doesn't take too long. In either case, make sure you are good on the basics (weighting, buoyancy, trim) before starting a tec course. Also make sure to discuss this with your instructor, he / she might be able to provide more local insights.
In general I would say BM is easier to start with.

No idea about the popularity in Australia, but one advantage of SM is that in some regions doubles aren't really available, so SM is the easiest way to set up a technical rig. If this is the case, you might be better off with SM. Again, talk to your instructor.

As far as the regs go, I agree with the Apeks DST with 5th port. They can be used in any scenario (SM, BM, stage reg) and perform well.

Thanks. Currently looking into getting some dives done with the system I choose (most likely BM, and so SM when I need it). Was thinking it would be a good idea to do the TDI Intro to Tech, to get a firm understanding of the basics, before AN&DP.

Was tossing up between the Tek3 and DST for BM. DST sounds like it will be more versatile.

If anyone knows of any good instructors in Melbourne, Australia who provide TDI Intro to tech please let me know.

Cheers

Was tossing up between the Tek3 and DST for BM. DST sounds like it will be more versatile.
I dive Tec 3s for BM doubles, DSTs for SM.

I find hose routing with turret regs on BM doubles to be less than ideal - it is a bit like having a couple of bird nests behind you. Yes, it will work, and I have dove / dived that way. But, my Tec3s are simply better for BM doubles. Obviously, this is my experience and opinion. Others are welcome to disagree / share their own experiences.

If you are limiting yourself to one and only one set of doubles regs, the DSTs are possibly just a bit more 'versatile'. But, if your longer term plan is to dive both configurations, you may be looking at two sets of regs.

I selected other a rebreather. IMO they are the future of diving. If I were in my 20's and had been diving 4-5 OC, I wouldn't spend money on OC tech training unless it was some kind of prerequisite to RB training.

I plan on starting tech using sidemount. I plan on doing a lot of cave diving, I figured i could make it work for the few boat dives I will do. We will see. I am doing my sidemount class this weekend.

Since I boat dive all the time I'll heavily disagree with those that say SM off boats is a PITA

Unless of course you're one of those people who need to faff in teh water attaching and removing cylinders, or can't climb the latter with cylinders attached.

Not all ocean diving where significant redundancy is beneficial is inside wrecks either.

Having the right gear configuration for the dive is paramount of course, Apart from Deco cylinder real estate, I've yet to find another reason why BM is superior

But each to their own

No matter what anyone's opinion is it's this:

[QUOTE="tbone1004, post: 9106981, member: 136424"]1. recommend pick one based on what's available and common in your area, but more importantly the configuration most suited to your diving[/QUOTE]

Being the one or two guys trying to dive outside the norm for your type of diving is difficult when looking for help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom