Status of Allegro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wondering if anyone has been there since the fire and if the place is back to normal. I like the idea of the water park there for my daughter. Is the Kids' Club functioning now?

I thought I had read they reopened in November. I booked a stay there for January and didn't have a problem getting a room. I don't remember seeing anything on their website saying the Kid's Club was not open.

Sometimes it's best to phone. I called. They reopened on November 3 and the water park is operating.

I often call a property the morning of my arrival date too, to confirm my arrangements. Sometimes it pays.

Sometimes it's best to phone. I called. They reopened on November 3 and the water park is operating.

I often call a property the morning of my arrival date too, to confirm my arrangements. Sometimes it pays.
I didn't know anyone called anymore but I guess I am wrong.

I didn't know anyone called anymore but I guess I am wrong.
Don't you know people with phones? I bet you have one. Actually, I have a landline as well, but then I'm an old hermit in the wilds of West Texas.

I dunno Dandy... I usually have a much harder time calling places on the island vs. emailing or WhatApping...

To the OP: Allego reopened the first week of November. But I sure wouldn't stay there. When the fire broke out, there were no working fire extinguishers and the fire hoses had no water pressure and also didn't work. They ended up pumping water out of the pool, by which time a minor fire became a major one and people lost everything. Then they didn't look after their guests well (hope they had insurance as the hotel did squat). Now there's no kids club, and a tiny spa. Read the reviews on Tripadvisor and think about if you really want to stay there.

The Iberostar has a ton of programming for kids. We've stayed at most of the AIs south of town with our daughter (starting from when she was 3 to, now, 13) and she ranks Iberostar number one. There's a lot of flora and fauna to keep them occupied. Much better food than Allegro as well.

I dunno Dandy... I usually have a much harder time calling places on the island vs. emailing or WhatApping...
Yeah, emailing is a good tool. He had waited a while for an answer tho so I got him a quick one. The soft-spoken lady who answered was not very informative tho. He really wanted a personal experience, but I agree with your other statement.
But I sure wouldn't stay there.
Nope, or any other resort managed by the same company. And take your own Smoke & CO alarm as some of theirs didn't work, but I take one for any overnight stay anywhere.

I would pick Iberostar over Allegro any day, unless there was a massive discount with Allegro.

I've generally had better response in Mexico with whatsapp. Seems to be much preferred over email there. Same for Roatan. I was there last month and sent whatsapp messages every day to restaurants and bars to check if they were open and almost always got an immediate (<5 minutes) response.

Allegro is on the lower end of the AIs on the island and should ALWAYS be discounted vs Iberostar, Occidental, & Sabor which I would consider on the next peg up (and in that order with Iberostar being the best of the three) of the southern resorts. We've stayed at almost all them south of town. No amount of savings could convince me to stay at the Allegro.

Allegro is on the lower end of the AIs on the island and should ALWAYS be discounted vs Iberostar, Occidental, & Sabor which I would consider on the next peg up (and in that order with Iberostar being the best of the three) of the southern resorts. We've stayed at almost all them south of town. No amount of savings could convince me to stay at the Allegro.
We stayed there years ago on some promotion (had to sit through a stinkin' time share presentation) when the kids were small and funds were low -- it was something like $700 for the week for all 4 of us all-inclusive. With the kid's water attractions, kids' club, and nice sandy beach entry, it fit the bill at the time. Food was cafeteria grade, but breakfast was fine, lunch adequate, and we ate a number of dinners out. Ended up having a great vacation.

We haven't stayed there in years, but I've been glad that there is at least that lower-price option -- especially for young families. In more recent years I've thought I could possibly consider staying there if a great deal came up, but with all of the safety violations and guest treatment stories that came out after the recent fire there, I'm not sure I'd be eager to stay there now (though perhaps it's like plane crashes -- safest right after when under scrutiny?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom