Stay in PDC but dive Cozumel - how easy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're booked at Club Viva Maya in Playacar for January. Just doing some research on dive shops and wondering - if we want to go to Cozumel for some dives, how easy is it? Some dive shop websites say ferry passage isn't included - so do you have to lug your equipment to the PDC ferry, then get picked up once you arrive at Cozumel?

Please tell me some dive shops take their boats from PDC to Cozumel?

If you had a choice, where would you spend your dive money - PCD reefs or Cozumel?

Thanks!:wink:

Last edited:
We're booked at Club Viva Maya in Playacar for January. Just doing some research on dive shops and wondering - if we want to go to Cozumel for some dives, how easy is it? Some dive shop websites say ferry passage isn't included - so do you have to lug your equipment to the PDC ferry, then get picked up once you arrive at Cozumel?

Please tell me some dive shops take their boats from PDC to Cozumel?

If you had a choice, where would you spend your dive money - PCD reefs or Cozumel?

Thanks!:wink:

Without a doubt Cozumel

I don't know anymore then that sorry

go to cozumel!!!
i went to pdc in july & spoke with several dive operators there before i went, none that i found go across on there own boat, they all use ferry.. i do not know why, hec you can see coz from pdc!! only mayby 15 mi. by boat.. so you have to take taxie to ferry, $25 to cross round trip,take another taxie to dock, long & exspensive ordeal !!

You should check to see what time the first ferry leaves PDC for Cozumel in the morning.

No Dive ops that I have ever seen cover Coz From PDC.It is a matter of locations to dive sites.The ferrys start real early.Once you get to coz there are plenty of taxis to
you anywhere.On previous trips to the PDC area I have taken the ferry ride over to Coz then even had dive ops pick me up.

We're already booked at PDC with timeshare. Looks like there's only one dive shop that goes direct from PDC to Cozumel (at least that's what their website says) so I'll either go with them or find one with convenient connections at the ferry. Kind of a bummer - it's a real pain to lug the gear around! Maybe we'll try and get four dives in on one day instead of going over twice.

Thanks for all the replies.

You should check to see what time the first ferry leaves PDC for Cozumel in the morning.
6am I think. Arrive in Coz at 6:45, if a norther doesn't cause problems.
We're already booked at PDC with timeshare. Looks like there's only one dive shop that goes direct from PDC to Cozumel (at least that's what their website says) so I'll either go with them or find one with convenient connections at the ferry. Kind of a bummer - it's a real pain to lug the gear around! Maybe we'll try and get four dives in on one day instead of going over twice.

Thanks for all the replies.
Time share?! :shocked2:

Anyway, the one you found that dives Coz will probably include a ferry ride. I have crossed that channel in a small boat a couple of times when it was really smooth, going from Coz to Tortugas reef to look for turtles (failed last time, wrong season?) but I don't think you will find a PDC to go to Coz.

Apply what you saved on the time share to $25 ferry trips and $10-12 taxi round trips, but don't buy round trip tickets as when you go back the next ferry to leave will probably be the wrong one and there is no cost savings.

Check this forum Cozumel - ScubaBoard for ideas on whom to book closest to the ferry dock to minimize taxi fares. If you just ask for dive operator suggestions, all you get is cheerleading for their favs, but if you list the aspects important to you - then you get better answers. Here is a thread on my approach: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/348892-so-what-do-i-want-coz-dive-trip.html

How about spending 2 days-1 night on the island ?
If you stay in an inexpensive hotel downtown, it won't cost you more than the trip back and forth between Coz and the mainland. And you won't have to haul your gear twice, provided you find a dive op that will take care of your equipment.
Clean and cheap hotels on the waterfront include Vista del Mar, Suites Bahia, Aqua Safari, among others.
I know Aldora and Blue XT Sea pick up downtown and take care of the divers' gear. There are probably others but don't know which ones.
Further South, Villablanca hotel has good rates and Scuba Mau next door takes care of gear. But you'll be further from town and ferry, so will need to pay for cabs.

Hauling the gear doesn't have to be a pain in the butt. Hire a tricycle guy at the Playa del Carmen ferry dock : he will take your bags all the way to the boat for a few dollars so you don't have to carry them while waiting in line. Before boarding, get a receipt for the bags from the crew, get on the boat, enjoy the "cruise".
Upon landing, before waiting line for the crew to recover your bags, hire another triciclero to take you to your cab or to your hotel or dive op if it's close to the pier (which is the case of the downtown ops and hotels mentionned above).

Enjoy your trip !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom