Steel 72 rejected by LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today, I went to a dive shop close to me (not the one I usually go to) to get my two Catalina 80s (1991 and 2010) and one of my steel 72s filled. The guy at the shop had no problem filling my AL80s but refused to fill my 1976 Healthways steel 72. He said it is too old and that his shop's policy is to not fill 72s. Period. He tried to tell me that 72s have a tendency to fail at the threads so he won't fill them. To his credit, he gave me the fills in my 80s on the house to compensate for the inconvenience.

This is news to me. I've been diving 72s for longer than that guy has been alive and I've never heard of a properly maintained 72 failing.

This the first shop that has ever refused to fill a 72 for me.

Have any of you guys ever run into a shop that won't fill a 72?

...i'd much rather fill the steely than those alum. 80's!!!
poor shop policy based on ignorance
...but hey,ya got 2 free fills!!!!
have fun
yaeg

I thought steel 72's were indestructible.....

He'd really freak over my US divers from 53 and 55. What a freaking moron. I hope you told him you won't be back until they get someone who knows what they are doing. The quarry I use up here ONLY rents 72's and many of them still have j-valves on them. I'm going to have to check the born on dates next time I'm up there on some of them but there are a few Voit's, some OLD Scuba Pro's, and some that have more hydro stamps than any other tank I've seen and they have the old 1/2 inch valves.

What's the name of the shop? You can Pm it so I know if I'm down that way who not to take my 72 doubles to for a fill.

Hah! (I know that you know) the very same DOT 3AA 2250's that we are talking about are branded 3000's in Europe. -must be the longitude effect???

I asked one of my LDS' to get a "+ rating" hydro stamp on several of my 72's. No can do, the hydro station won't give them the 10% extra.

HOWEVER, he did say that he has no problem whatsoever in filling any of my current hydro/vip 72's up to 3000psi. Why? Mostly because he knows what he is talking about. Your biggest problem with 72's should be running out of room on the neck for hydro stamps...

Indestructible yes, idiot proof, no

Today, I went to a dive shop close to me (not the one I usually go to) to get my two Catalina 80s (1991 and 2010) and one of my steel 72s filled. The guy at the shop had no problem filling my AL80s but refused to fill my 1976 Healthways steel 72. He said it is too old and that his shop's policy is to not fill 72s. Period. He tried to tell me that 72s have a tendency to fail at the threads so he won't fill them. To his credit, he gave me the fills in my 80s on the house to compensate for the inconvenience.

This is news to me. I've been diving 72s for longer than that guy has been alive and I've never heard of a properly maintained 72 failing.

This the first shop that has ever refused to fill a 72 for me.

Have any of you guys ever run into a shop that won't fill a 72?

There are shops that won't fill any tanks over 20 years old. There is one near me.
It's the use the lowest common denominator method to make a decision of what is or isn't safe to fill instead of actually knowing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom