Steel 72 rejected by LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had seen a few from the 1890's when I was working for Praxair about 15 years ago.

I wonder if 40 or 50 years from now there will be any steel 72's from the 1950's or 60's still in service?
I know I plan to keep as many old ones in service as I can.

I'm guessing that 40-50 years from now they'll have ironed out the safety issues involved with rebreathers and diving with OC gear will be the same as diving with vintage gear is today.

Still, I would imagine that it would be possible to test, fill and dive the tanks if you want to. Some of my tanks date back to 1961, so they're already 50 years old.

Not totally off topic but about a 2 weeks ago I got an email from one of the LDSs about a trade in program that they do. Of course in the picture were all of these DH regs and old twin tanks. I called and enquired about how often they have D hosers traded in and if they get any how would I go about buying a few from them. Long story short their tech said that they are so old and in such dis-repair that they could not resell them. Again misinformation and poorly trained.

Not totally off topic but about a 2 weeks ago I got an email from one of the LDSs about a trade in program that they do. Of course in the picture were all of these DH regs and old twin tanks. I called and enquired about how often they have D hosers traded in and if they get any how would I go about buying a few from them. Long story short their tech said that they are so old and in such dis-repair that they could not resell them. Again misinformation and poorly trained.
What you tell them is you have no intention of diving that old garbage, you just want them for a vintage display that's all. Say to them you are interested in a new regulator anyway soon but it would be nice to mount a couple of double hoses on the wall to complete your display. Say to them you have decided to get the double hoses first before you buy the new modern reg because it's something you've wanted to do for a long time. Also mentuion that the price can't be too high because that will take money away from buying the new reg.

You'll see how fast their tune will change when they think they will get a sale out of it for both.

What you tell them is you have no intention of diving that old garbage, you just want them for a vintage display that's all. Say to them you are interested in a new regulator anyway soon but it would be nice to mount a couple of double hoses on the wall to complete your display. Say to them you have decided to get the double hoses first before you buy the new modern reg because it's something you've wanted to do for a long time. Also mentuion that the price can't be too high because that will take money away from buying the new reg.

You'll see how fast their tune will change when they think they will get a sale out of it for both.

I Like You, devious and cunning

Might be a fun exercise to see what the hydro dates are on those shop's bank bottles. Bet there's some >20 year old steel bottles in there...

They are not required to be hydroed if they are not transported. Department of TRANSPORTATION.

We got fined about 30k for using the wrong hydro stamp... DOT inspected everything, didn't even bat an eye at our airbank

Long story short their tech said that they are so old and in such dis-repair that they could not resell them.

I'd say, "Well, O.K. Then if you can't sell them I'll take them off your hands, no charge!":eyebrow:

I picked up a steel 72 at Goodwill last night, with the oldest date stamp on it being 11/56 (and most recent that I can find being July 91). When I got it home and cracked open the valve, there was enough pressure in the tank to scare the crap out of the cats (them old style valves open a LOT faster than the new style). No telling how long it has been since it was filled, but I'm going to check with my LDS about getting it inspected and hydroed.

I picked up a steel 72 at Goodwill last night, with the oldest date stamp on it being 11/56 (and most recent that I can find being July 91). When I got it home and cracked open the valve, there was enough pressure in the tank to scare the crap out of the cats (them old style valves open a LOT faster than the new style). No telling how long it has been since it was filled, but I'm going to check with my LDS about getting it inspected and hydroed.

Drain it out and pull the valve off.
Those 1/2" holes are a little harder to look in, but take a flashlight and peek inside the best you can. Move the light around along with your eyesight line and look around the bottom of the tank and see if there are any rust spots or pitting.
I'm not the right one to ask about pitting since I just murdered a perfectly good tank and am still suffering great remorse for my inexcusable actions, I should be locked up for what I did.
But anyway, with the death of one tank comes the rebirth of another great tank. I just got a 1960 72 1/2" valve, it needed a shot blast ($24.75) and a hydro ($18).
It also needed an updated burst disc ($12.99) and now I have another great 72 in my fleet.

If your valve has one of the old style burst discs (they're flat with a hole in the center and slots for a flat screwdriver) you'll need to remove it and replace it with a hexagonal nut type with three holes on the sides of the hex nut.
Most shops won't fill tanks with the old style burst discs. Be really carefull trying to get out the old one, the flat screw driver part strips out really easy and if that happens you'll need to surgically remove the old burst disc nut without damaging the threads. It's pretty hard but I've done it. It requires a drill or a dremel tool, a steady hand, some pick tools, and a lot of patients.

Good luck and congratulations!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom