Steel tanks & wetsuit - some real experience to go with the claims....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uh, yeah, that would work.

Seriously, the Quattros may just be a matter of technique. I've dove the Twinjets for a long time, and have gotten used to them. I can both flutter and frog in them, and my reason for getting a pair of Quattros is that I can't back up worth a damn in the Twinjets, and figured that some day I'd find that important - also, there is a conceivable snag risk from the slot on split fins.

Anyway, I find that I can get a lot of power with a frog, but its not consistent (that is, its "bursts" of thrust, as a frog is, rather than smooth thrust with a flutter), and that the flutter is nowhere near as powerful with the Quattros as with the Twinjets.

I had run into current with the Quattros the other day (before the doubles) and really had to WORK to beat it - a current that I didn't think would have even bothered me in the Twinspeeds.....but today was the first time I really QUANTIFIED the difference with an attempted dead-thrust test.

There was an anchor down there that I wanted to salvage. I was going to bag it, but had to move it a bit first, and figured I'd swim it up as it was either as heavy or a bit lighter than the one I have on my boat. No dice with the Quattros. I later ended up giving up on the salvage, as I was unable to separate the anchor from the mess it was entangled in, but it gave me a really good opportunity to get a "benchmark" on the fins.... which up until now I had not managed.

Always interesting testing new stuff..... :)

You called the fins twinjets several times, but from the description of what they could do, they sounded like twinspeed (longer and without the holes in front of the foot pocket)...then at the end, you called them twinspeeds, would you clarify please...

Keep us posted

Darlene

They do have the "holes" :) The pockets are open at the front.

I have a pair of the black ones (negative) that I've put spring straps on and like a lot. My reason for working with the Quattros is really more of a preparation thing (as is the doubles) as "hard" overhead environments and splits don't seem to get along well among the people who I've talked to.

Nonetheless, the Twinjets simply have WAY more thrust, although if this is a matter of technique I suspect that more dives on the Quattros will correct that as well. They're relatively new to me (perhaps a half-dozen dives overall)

I hate split fins - I like the big paddle fins. I find it gives better control over buoyancy, and you can haul ass if you need to. They're great for frog kicks.

Anyway, I had Quattro's. Good fins, no complaints. But I just went to a set of IDI Power Fins, and love them - they're supposed to be the clone of Jets, just shaped a little different, and with a larger footpocket.

If I was going to do it all over again, I'd get Turtles or Jets. I can't back up worth a damn in my Quattro's, but I can do it just fine in my IDI's.

Boogie711 once bubbled...

<snip>

I like the big paddle fins. I find it gives better control over buoyancy, and

<snip>

This is an interesting comment. Would you care to elaborate on that?

R..

I don't want to hijack the thread.

I just feel that with stiff fins, you can make little, careful, controlled movements. If you're in a hover and feel yourself drifting or moving slightly out of trim, you can make a slight twist with a toe or ankle and gently correct the movement right away. With a 'floppier' fin, you can't do that.

Hm... may have to try those.

The problem I had with Jets was that the foot pocket sucked canal water; the fin never felt secure on my feet, and I never had the kind of control I should have.

The power fins appear to have a longer foot pocket.... which might make them acceptable to me. I'd love to find a decent paddle fin - so far I'm just not "getting there" with the ones I've tried in terms of being able to actually get results when in a current or otherwise NEEDING power.

Ok, enough thread hijacking - back to the doubles! :)

Looks like we're going to be blown out here for the entire week - perhaps the weekend will be ok to get out... Check this forecast for today...

A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT

TODAY
NORTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS...WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 KNOTS
EARLY...BECOMING NORTHEAST AROUND 20 KNOTS BY AFTERNOON. SEAS 4 FEET
NEAR SHORE AND 8 FEET WELL OFFSHORE THIS MORNING...4 TO 6 FEET THIS
AFTERNOON. BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS ROUGH.

Eeek. I think I'll clean the house :)

I have found that I can go to an AL plate with the double HP100s, and still remain neutral very close to the surface with low gas.

Dove them today set up on the AL plate, along with moving the bands up higher. They're dialed. Not much different now than diving a single, except that I have a lot more gas.

My trim is back and I can easily swim them up, stuffed full, from 120'. No problem at all (with a pair of IDI "Jet clones", which actually FIT my feet, unlike the SP jets.)

I like 'em a lot.....

So much for not being able to swim up double steelies in a wetsuit. I can indeed do so, and I need no belt at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom