Stick on reading lenses for dive mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The stickonbifocals site appears to be a land version of Dive Optix. It's the water-adhesion idea that doesn't work all that well in a dive mask. If you flood your mask, you're likely to lose your lenses. And if you don't flood your mask, well, you rinse the defog out of it, don't you?

I got a pair of Dive Optix a couple of years ago. I put one in my old mask, that I carry as a backup, and one in my primary Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask. I had read some threads on problems with sticking, so I carefully followed the instructions. That seems to be the key, as neither ever came loose, wet or dry.

However, I did remove the one from the AQ Frameless mask. The problem was that the mask has such a low volume and the glass is so close to the eye, that if you put the Dive Optix in the lower corner of the mask as I had, the angle is so extreme that the "viewing results" weren't satisfactory. I would have had to put the Dive Optix too much "in front" of my eye to make it usable. The one I put in my old mask still works fine, because the angle isn't so extreme.

I bought a set and wound up sticking them to the outside of my mask using hydrophobic tape since they wouldn't stay inside my mask. That's worked really well, except that the area of magnification just isn't big enough for me to simply glance at my gauge and see the information clearly.

Instead I bought an XS Scuba Look down mask. The entire bottom piece of each lens is 1.75+ magnification and works perfectly for these old eyes. Scuba.com has a whole section with masks that come with standard bi-focals and others that can be more custom ordered. It's a good place to start so you know what's available.

It was my impression that the Diveoptx lenses are bigger (and much more expensive :wink:) than the standard ones:

DiveOptx® Stick-on Lenses for Divers (Large)

Henrik

I'm not 100% sure which is bigger, but if it's $10 vs. $35 I don't care. Especially if they fall off and you have to keep buying them.

I got a pair of Dive Optix a couple of years ago. I put one in my old mask, that I carry as a backup, and one in my primary Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask. I had read some threads on problems with sticking, so I carefully followed the instructions. That seems to be the key, as neither ever came loose, wet or dry.

When I first bought mine I was skeptical about their effectiveness so I followed the instructions, the most important is letting them dry thoroughly so there is no moisture between the lens and the glass, figuring that I would pitch a fit when they didn't work. After using them until my mask wore out, I then carefully reversed the procedure and removed the lenses and put them on my new mask where they have been for the last two years.

I will get a prescription mask someday, but I'm in no rush.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I've had my pair of Dive Optx for about five years now. One in my primary mask and one in my backup. I've even moved them around a few times when I replaced my primary mask. Never had a problem with them coming loose unless I wanted them to.

I'm not 100% sure which is bigger, but if it's $10 vs. $35 I don't care. Especially if they fall off and you have to keep buying them.

I guess that's the point - making them stick :wink:

Henrik

I just got back from my first "vision corrected" dive trip. One-day disposable contacts works like a charm :D

I just got back from my first "vision corrected" dive trip. One-day disposable contacts works like a charm :D
My solution also. They are cheap enough that I don't worry if I wash one out and carry a couple spares.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom