STICKING with it !

how meny people stay with diving after they finish a class?

• less than 3

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 3 to 5

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • 5 to 9

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • all of them

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbtide

Reaction score
i dident know what else to call this thread .
i am wonderning how meny people after OW and AOW stick with diving . here it seems like poeple get in to it for a while then sell there gear and never go back under, so it made me a bit curious what is the % of divers that stick it out if .
and does anyone else see this as well ?

Out of my class of 8 I'm the only one still diving. That class was back in'94.

Yesterday passing a local OW training site with the boat we spotted three pods of soon~to~be~newbies getting ready to stir up the already atrocious viz (the bloom is on & the viz is gone.)

Looking on the positive side we refer to them as embryonic used dive gear sales.... usually takes about a year before they hatch and then all that *only used once* stuff hits the market.

Unfortunately none of it is stuff that I would want...

Come on only 10%?!?!

I am extremely surprised at that low number and am curious as to the source. If that is true I wonder what drives them away? Diving is so cool that it would have to be a bad experience(s) or instructor / intial lessons.... what do you think?

For many people who get started in SCUBA cost and time are factors that affect future diving. I can easily see how 10% would be a reasonable amount that are still diving actively after 4 years.

Actually 10% seems possible or even a little high based on my limited experience. You go to the quarries around here and every weekend there are 20-30 new divers getting certified. Then you look around at the non-students that are there and there are maybe 20-30 and they are the same ones that are there every week. Not to mention the number of people that I talk to that say they use to dive years ago but they just lost interest.

I think alot of people get certified for one trip to the islands or on a cruise and then never pursue it after that.

Chad

too bad more people don't stick with it. being a newbie myself I hope i am not just a statistic. doubt it guaging my current enthusiasm.

by the way Chad... best line on the board "Dating is like Bottom time....the deeper you get...the quicker you gotta to get out. " :clapping:

LOVE IT!!!!

Noshow,

If you get into diving because you are truly interested in it and not because it looks like a neat thing to do on your next vacation you will stay with it. We all hope you do.

Re Sig Line: Thanks I knew others might agree with that.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom