Sticky inflator button bcj-2100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
I have done about 50 shallow dives with a BCJ-2100 which I really enjoy. Recently it has started auto-inflating on shore and in the shallows. I unscrewed it and looked inside. It looks pretty simple. I imagine the spring at the button is weakening. If I bang on it against my hand it stops inflating/hissing. Is it this spring, or could it use some lubrication somewhere, or is it just an economy vest with economy parts that need to be replaced occasionally? In a few weeks I plan to purchase the breathable inflator/octo but I want to use this one for a few more dives. I have read of some others having a similar problem but find nothing doing a search...

Hello,
It is very important to bring your BCJ-2100 to your local TUSA dealer for service. The BCJ-2100 carries the BCU-140 power inflator. This tilt valve design can quickly be serviced. A self inflating BCJ can be very dangerous and should be properly serviced immeadiatly.

You talk about everything else but you did not mention you if you were rinsing out the inflator after a days use.

"or is it just an economy vest with economy parts that need to be replaced occasionally?" it's usually the dive not cleaning their gear is the problem.

Yes - that turns out to be the problem. I have read up a lot on this problem. I soaked the mechanism in vinegar and water several times and have since tested it in the shallows and dry and have had no problems. I normally rinse the inflator on the vest but apparently I should take the valve out occasionally and clean it because the rinse water does not get inside to it and the salt probably dries out on the ball and socket surfaces. I don't fault the vest - rather it is improper cleaning I am pretty sure now.:D

Those are one of the things people forget to clean or do a good job at. I use the water hose to fill the bcd then dump the water out using both buttons

I was taught to always remove the inflator hose from the BCD, submerge it in fresh rinse water, and hold the buttons until the air bubbles are gone, then pull it out and press the buttons until the water drains out.

I do the above two or three times while holding the button end up and pressing the deflate button, then once more, but hold it buttons down and press the power inflator to rinse through the power inflator's connector.

The BCD itself gets filled with about a liter of water, swished around enthusiastically, then drained, then repeated a second time.

The only problems I have with my BCJ-6900 (X-pert BB) are that the dump valves at the bottom rear won't stay in their cutouts anymore. Everything functions perfectly after two years of salt and sand and chlorine so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom