Sticky shutter release button on C-5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saholz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just over a year ago, I had my sensor replaced under the Olympus recall for bad Sony sensors. It showed the typical purple lines across the LCD indicating sensor failure.

All the work was done at no charge and the camera works fine. When it first came back, I noticed that I couldn't depress the shutter release...it seemed stuck. After applying some force, it freed up and worked pefectly, so I didn't think much of it.

Since then, whenever the camera is left idle for over an hour or so, the initial push on the shutter release is very, very stiff. Having the camera on or off makes no difference. After that first push, it's a smooth as can be. It's annoying, but doesn't really effect shooting at all.

Has anyone ever seen this before? It's a PITA, but I'm sure it's now too late to have it repaired as part of the original warranty work that seems to have caused the problem.

Personally that sounds like a liquid like soda contaminated the button. I would send it back to olympus if you have warranty left. If not, you might try some zero res cleaner on the button.

The camera was spotless when it came back, but that's an interesting thought. It makes sense. I emailed Olympus' customer service the other day and am still waiting to hear back from them. If I hear nothing, I'll take it in to my local camera shop and see if they'll clean it out for me. I know the owner very well, so he'd probably do it for free. I can't do too much right now, since I'll be using the camera in 4 weeks on a dive trip.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom