Stiffness of Jetfins Compared to Mares Avantis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4sak3n

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anyone in the position to compare Jetfins and Mares Avanti 3x fins for me? I'm specifically interested in how they compare in terms of flexibility.

I currently have a pair of jetfin clones (not made by ScubaPro) and they compare very linearly to the Avantis. They have vents so it is easier to kick. The blade is shorter so you get proportionally less thrust (i.e. don't go as far each kick cycle) and they have about similar flexibility.

I am guessing that if the clones were stiffer than the Avantis they would give equal or more thrust. Hence the stiffness would compensate for the shorter length.

So how do Jetfins stack up against Avantis? They MUST be stiffer if everyone is correct about how brilliant they are. Can anyone confirm this?

don't know about jets, but plana avanti (old model) are more than enough for me even in the high currents in the Mediterranean

The stiffness of Jets is much exaggerated. I don't consider them all that stiff, at least the XL size. UDTs are stiff, Jets, not so stiff.

BTW, I just got a set of Plana Avanti 3X ordered for my wife for the 09 year.

N

Good choice Nemrod, I love my Avantis. They are amazing fins!

The only thing is you need strong legs to get any sort of useful work out of them but if she can keep up with you she must have strong legs. :wink:

Which clones have you used? I can't compare to the Avantis, but I've tried quite a few of the Jet clones out there :wink:

If it helps I rate them on their stiffness in the following order (stiffest first)

OMS Slipstreams (light, but VERY stiff and responsive)
Jetfins
Rockets
Turtles

Aloha, Tim

Last edited:
They're made by IST.

I don't care about how well they do or don't perform because they were super cheap (about 1/3 the price of Jets) but I am still curious though.

Have you by any chance tried out the Hollis F1s yet?

They're made by IST.

I don't care about how well they do or don't perform because they were super cheap (about 1/3 the price of Jets) but I am still curious though.

Have you by any chance tried out the Hollis F1s yet?

Have not tried the Hollis yet, but I did have a pair of IST's and found them to be much more flexible than Jets, plus Jets are a lot larger blade (especially XL & XXL Jets) - wore the IST's till they died - mostly only used while scootering because I didn't need to use them kicking.

Aloha, Tim

Thanks Kidspot! Tis very much appreciated. :kiss2::D

The stiffness of Jets is much exaggerated. I don't consider them all that stiff, at least the XL size. UDTs are stiff, Jets, not so stiff.

N

I thought it was just me, but I was bending the blade of a Jets back and forth and it felt more flexy than the Avanti Quattro.

I thought it was just me, but I was bending the blade of a Jets back and forth and it felt more flexy than the Avanti Quattro.

No, it is not just you. People hear how stiff Jets are and so without actually trying them they just repeat the misinformation until it becomes urban legend. Jets are not all that stiff as fins go, especially the Jet XL. I don't know how many times I have been herded onto a cattle boat with all of the fancy fin set and they go, eeewwwwwww, how do you kick those stiff fins. Spinach I guess. Fact is they just are not all that stiff. I suspect many confuse them with Rockets or Dacor Turbos which are like tying chunks of plywood to the feet.

N

Back
Top Bottom