still dreaming about it (Yucatan diving report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue

Reaction score
Our diving trip didn’t start in the better way: three flights and 25 hours after leaving Lisbon we get to crowded Cancun at midnight and we spent 2 hours searching for a hotel, since our rental car was booked to the next morning.

Driving in 307 to Playa del Carmen wasn’t that difficult (we were not stopped by the police as we were told) but we were disappointed because we still couldn’t see the Caribbean Sea and once there, we found a very tourist place. Hopefully, as soon as we saw the several blue coloured water we forgot everything else. We immediately headed to a Dive Shop and we were told “alright … come at 2 p.m., if we have enough people we dive!” We were really willing to make our first dive in that sea, and we didn’t want to waste any more time hanging around, so we have decided to leave to Akumal.

Akumal was great – much more quiet and nicer than Playa del Carmen, and the staff at The Akumal Dive Shop staff received us in a very friendly way – I was informed about the Nitrox training I wanted to take and we were advised on accommodation.

Our first dive was a thrill: the water temperature, the excellent visibility and the huge amount of marine life showed us a complete different way of diving, so far from the ones we were used in the cold Atlantic waters.

We have stayed in Akumal for five days – enough to take the Nitrox certification and make a few dives both in the Sea and the great cenotes. These were also a new experience for us: unbelievable visibility and an astonish environment made us found of this particular kind of diving. We did the Carwash and Dos Ojos Cenotes. This last one was probably one of my top five dives – the water is so clear and transparent that seems you’re flying through the cavern. We did some tunnels and ways through that gave us the feeling of diving in a cave – which will certainly be my next course!

Leaving back Akumal we drove four hours to get to Xcalak – near to the Belize border. As soon as we got there we went to the Dive Centre, where the owner was about to leave for testing a brand new boat. We arrange the trip to Chinchorro Bank to the next day (weather permitting, once it was cloudy and windy) at 7:00 am.

We slept at friendly Tierra Maya and in the next morning we left to Chinchorro. After a 2,5 hours trip in a very rough sea, we got to the Bank, and we had the privilege to make three great dives in an almost unexplored place – due the distance, very few divers get to Xcalak, so it is (still) an untouched and well preserved paradise.
I’m wondering for how long it will stay that way…

Already missing Xcalak, and after a three days cultural visit to Merida and Chechinitza we returned our rental car and we took the ferry to Cozumel.

From our (short) experience in the Yucatan, we decided to look for a package of accommodation plus diving – and we have found a good deal at Scuba Staff (5 nights and 3 days 2-tank diving for a reasonable price).

We were lucky because we have made all the dives with just another couple, so we were 4 divers and two dive masters. From what we have seen around, this was an exception – most boats were caring around 10 to 12 divers, making the underwater world of Cozumel look like the crowded Cancun or Playa. Apart from that fact, I was really thrilled to dive there, and despite all the bad advertising about Cozumel (how it was crowded, and consequently ruined uw) we had the chance to dive in the best places – Palancar Wall, Tormentos Reef, Santa Rosa Wall and others, avoiding people due the early diving hours and getting in touch with a great and not that spoiled environment.

A night dive to the Aeroplane Wreck made our diving trip complete.

Back to the office I often recall all the coloured fish and corals living in that blue Caribbean Sea and I dream with my next diving vacation.

Super report, Sweet Sue.

Sounds like you packed lots into your brief time in Mexico. Often times folks on only a short stay in Xcalak doen't get to the Bank due to conditions. I've stayed & dove with Tierra Maya, and the boat broke down on the Bank. It was a long trip back in small fishing panga. How is the new boat?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks DocV

Tierra Maya diving is now done with Dive Shop "Xcalak to Chinchorro". We dove with Suzanne (the owner) and we had the chance to make the first trip of their brand new boat to the Bank. It was great. Due the rough sea conditions it took almost three hours to get there but the return was done in less than one hour.

Tierra Maya was cool. Tom is nice (is now in Florida) having left his friendly father in charge of the place.

I've taken a lot of photos and will try soon to put a few them online.

I really loved Chinchorro and I'm willing to return and spend more time there (thanks for your tip on it!)

Sue

Sue,

Trip sounds great.

DocVikingO, I have been monitoring this board for a couple of weeks and can't help but observe that you seem to have been everywhere.

BLT

Sue,
Glad to see you're back safe and sound. :)
Sounds like a fantastic trip too. I'm so glad the diving exceeded your expectations!
Can't wait to see your pictures.
:sunny:

Hi Sweet Sue,

Sure, I've stayed at Tierra Maya and know both Tom & his dad, Ditmar. As a point of historical interest, Ditmar's brother is A. B. Biller, manufacturer of one this country's first & most popular lines of spearguns. BTW, was Ditmar's hot & much younger wife there?

Welcome home.

DocVikingo

Hola DocV

I didn't know that!

We had a long breakfast chat with Ditmar the day we left Xcalak, was very kind giving me his contact in case I would need to buy any scuba gear that would cost less in the States than in Europe. I guess he will remain in Xcalak for a month during Tom's stay in Florida, but I will certainly keep in touch with him. I haven't had the chance of meeting his wife ... don't know if she was there.
BTW I took a pic of the new boat (bought by the Dive Shop) and I will post it together with the others.

Sue

Hi BLT,

LOL. I am more places than you can imagine.

If ever I can do something for you, feel free to contact me.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hi Sweet Sue,

I look forward to your pictures.

Be well.

DocVikingo

You guys aren't afraid to go try things. That is very good. It helped you enjoy your brief time in Mexico. Can't wait to get back myself.

Back
Top Bottom