Still wanting to go out to the Carthaginian..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calscubagirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all...

Does anyone have any pictures of what the Carthaginian looks like at present?

Thanks!

Lori

Somebody feel up to educating me, or must I google? (that is so lonely..)

Nevermind about the first link. I just clicked on it from SB and it didn't work.

Here's a copy and paste from that site...

LAHAINA, Maui » With hula dancers swaying to "Aloha Oe," about 100 people bid farewell to a Lahaina landmark that served as a floating whaling museum for more than 20 years.

The aging and rusted Carthaginian, a replica of a double-masted brigantine, was towed from its dock in Lahaina Harbor yesterday morning and sunk to create an artificial reef and visitor diving attraction. The ship is now about a half-mile offshore, between Puamana and Launiupoko beach parks.

"It's time. Everything moves along," said George Allan, an artist who rode as a crew member on the Carthaginian in 1973, bringing it from Sweden to Maui. "I just hope they got something new, something appropriate."

Allan and other members of the Lahaina Restoration Foundation, who formerly operated the floating museum, hope a proposal to put a Hawaiian voyaging canoe in the Carthaginian's berth is successful.

Foundation Executive Director George "Keoki" Freeland said nothing has been signed, but talks are progressing with the nonprofit group Hui O Wa'a Kaulua to put its 42-foot Hawaiian double-hulled canoe Mo'olelo in the place once occupied by the Carthaginian.

Hui President Ke'eaumoku Kapu said after relashing the body and repairing the vessel's sails, his group will be ready to berth the Mo'olelo at Lahaina Harbor.

Some residents had mixed feelings about the demise of the Carthaginian, a visitor attraction for more than a quarter of a century.

Artist Peg Robertson said that in a matter of days, she saw more than 50 people take photographs of the ship and she raised questions about the kind of replacement the foundation could find for the berth.

Washington state visitors Ray and Phyllis Davids recalled how foundation officials and volunteers worked feverishly to save the Carthaginian during Hurricane Iniki in 1992.

"Now, they're going to sink it," Ray Davids said.

Foundation officials, who sold the vessel two years ago to Atlantis Adventures, said the steel-hulled Carthaginian, built in 1921 and once used as a cement carrier in the Baltic, was beyond repair and could have created a navigation hazard.

Freeland said he was relieved that the vessel was sunk.

"We were very concerned it would sink where it was moored," he said.

Freeland said the ship, converted into a two-masted brig and serving as a floating museum since 1976, was used to replace a twin-masted replica of an 1840s brig used for the film "Hawaii." The movie brig sank off Lahaina while on its way to dry dock on Oahu in 1972.

Atlantis Submarines, which conducts tours aboard its submersible vessels, spent an estimated $300,000 to $350,000 to prepare the Carthaginian for sinking, including the cleaning of the vessel to make sure it did not create an environmental hazard. The company has created a similar artificial reef made of sunken vessels off Waikiki.

"The improvement is tremendous. The marine life is abundant," Atlantis President Ron Williams said.

Atlantis contracted American Marine to sink the ship by pumping sea water into it and removing square wooden boards covering pre-cut holes in the hull to allow flooding.

Once at the location, the vessel took a little more than 27 minutes to sink, with the bow going under first.

"She went down beautifully ... with the dignity she deserved," said foundation President Mary Helen Lindsey. "We're sure going to miss her."

Here are pics of the Carthaginian that I took in June off Extended Horizons...

The middle picture is of a black colored Commerson's Frogfish hanging upside-down from the cables running from the bow up to the forward mast... if you look closely you can see this frogfish in the wide angle shot too! Soooo cute!

Attachments

• Carthaginian_1.jpg
    Carthaginian_1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Carthaginian_2.jpg
    Carthaginian_2.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Carthaginian_3.jpg
    Carthaginian_3.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 42
So when are you returning Lori? I still haven't dove the Carthaginian yet, but soon I am hoping :wink: Looks to be a very nice wreck (is that an oxymoron?)

Aloha, Tim

Thanks for the photos guys. Looks like there's some life brewing.

Have fun when you go Divemaven. Can't wait to see the photos.

I'm going to try and go while I'm there in November.

I dove it about a year ago, and really enjoyed it... it is relatively deep, so definitely take Nitrox if you can!

I'm told of another reef just off (100' away) the stern in ~105' that is teeming with life, but have not yet been out to visit that.

Back
Top Bottom