Still wanting to go out to the Carthaginian..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my buddies is going this week. I plan on launching with a scooter and 100cft from Puamana, as they tie up, to attempt to buddy up with her at the wreck. Should have pictures and an interesting story by the weekend.:eyebrow:

I'm told of another reef just off (100' away) the stern in ~105' that is teeming with life, but have not yet been out to visit that.

Kris,
I have explored the reef your talking about, it's closer to a 100 yards off the stern... big school of ta'ape & goat fish... omilu... and more! Well worth the nitrox to make it over there and back.. just take the appropriate mix, since the top of this reef is in about 110'... bottom is closer to 130'.

Besides watching the wreck 'grow up', another facet I like about diving Carthaginian is the perfect location for whale song (during whale season)... and the possibility of a swim-by! Highly recommended during whale season!

And even if a whale doesn't swim by... watching Atlantis submarine go by is super fun!

Ciao

fixed link cal-girl:
StarBulletin.com | News | /2005/12/14/

i wanna to go there too!
just south of lahaina.. shore diveable?

the first link posted by sean has awesome photos of the wreck!
'says the carthaginian is at 97fsw..
looks like you can penetrate through the forward hold?
anyone have the dimensions of the ship? l x h x w

One of my buddies is going this week. I plan on launching with a scooter and 100cft from Puamana, as they tie up, to attempt to buddy up with her at the wreck. Should have pictures and an interesting story by the weekend.:eyebrow:

Sounds like my timing in posting this is pretty good :)
Can't wait to see the pictures and hear about your story!

So when are you returning Lori? I still haven't dove the Carthaginian yet, but soon I am hoping :wink: Looks to be a very nice wreck (is that an oxymoron?)

Aloha, Tim

Tim...

I'll be there on the 20th of Nov. just in time for for Thanksgiving and the Maui Music Festival and maybe if I'm lucky....whales.

OK, now Tim!....get on it and go dive it....or wait for me and we'll go dive it together :wink:

Kris....no Nitrox here so I wont be able to spend much time there but, I'll be happy just to see it! I walked on her about 27 years ago as a kid. Now I'll be able to glide around her.

Vblue...thanks for the link fix.

Wow, can't wait to hear what ya'll think since everyone is diving her before me! :wink: We were thinking of requesting nitrox on our charter, but we think Lahaina Divers is going to limit our bottom time anyway, so we might as well save the money and dive air.

I hope that black frogfish is still living on the wreck, my husband will be out of his mind excited if it is! He's a total frogfish fanatic and now that he's upgraded his camera, he'll be able to get much better shots and he can't wait to be back on Maui with it.

Calscubagirl, are you doing any other diving on Maui? Be sure to post a report when you return!

Back
Top Bottom