Stingray jumps in boat injures man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it was one of those terrorist trained rays that are rumored to be out there, like the one that got Steve Irwin....I think we should get Homeland Security in on this and have them all penned up in Guantanamo Bay.

Actually at the aquariums where they allow rays to be petted they remove the barbs and of course when a stingray uses its barb it regrows, so if you held down the tail and debarbed it, then picked it up and tossed it overboard it probably wouldn't be harmed, just defenseless for a while.

Mike

steveann:
Maybe it was one of those terrorist trained rays that are rumored to be out there, like the one that got Steve Irwin....I think we should get Homeland Security in on this and have them all penned up in Guantanamo Bay.
I think your onto something here. If i'm not mistaken, recently declassified files (or shall I say classified but "misplaced"), state that, that particular sting ray was back from a military recon around Europe (somewhere) and was jumping out of the water to gain better microwave broadcast range for it's secure satellite download, when ... BAM! into the boat it went! Now, as we all know, military training involves "securing" a potential "unsecure" situation to secure vital stragetic data, so a few swift Kendo trained moves later...area "secured" !!SIR!! Now, would someone actually ... PUT ME BACK INTO THE WATER PLEASE!!!!

Sorry about that ... it was a terrible thing to ray.

-----

Mike.

it was obviously a premeditated attack by the ray

Obviously some folk in this thread have handled rays before. I used to catch them in the tidal pools off of Ft Myers Beach, picking them up under the nose so the tail faced away from me, and putting them in the water on the Gulf side so they didnt suffocate in the pools and people didn't step on them..... OK one or a dozen times with smaller ones we frisbee'd them out farther to, but that was a long time ago and I didn't understand what I do now.

Anyway...

To get smacked by the stinger of a ray in the chest, particularly of one that ended up in the boat.. a person would have to be exceptionally careless for that to occur. They are agile in the water, but like boneless chickens out of water. Yeah, they'll move around some but not with lightning speed.

I see a new product here, stingray chest protectors! Don't end up like thousands of others and get stuck in the heart by a stingray. Wildcards new kevlar body armor will save you!
Hey, if the media can exagerate, so can I.

Wildcard:
I see a new product here, stingray chest protectors! Don't end up like thousands of others and get stuck in the heart by a stingray. Wildcards new kevlar body armor will save you!
Hey, if the media can exagerate, so can I.

I can see it now....here at Shark Ray Alley in Belize....motocross chest protectors right along side of fins and masks in the dive shops...:rofl3:

Hank49:
I can see it now....here at Shark Ray Alley in Belize....motocross chest protectors right along side of fins and masks in the dive shops...:rofl3:

Hey, don't laugh. Some would take the opportunity to import some kid's snow discs and market them in your area as chest protectors.

I saw a T-Shirt for sale here the day after the earthquake that said "Survived the Earthquake - Hawaii 2006".

There is a market for everything. This is where personal ethics comes in, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom