Stop steering new divers in North America towards DIN regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope DIN is not the new Betamax!
Seen from the east side of the pond, it's more as if yoke is the new 8-track cassette. Or AM radio.

I'd rather people use the better system. The more people use DIN, the more likely Ops will be incentivized to change.

Whats better? VHS or Beta?
well on that note beta was a better tapev it just vhs came consumer choice like blueray did over hd players .beta was used for decades in broadcast studios lol as for din or yoke my dive shop sold me yoke for the reason that most rentals in north america use this system

I have DIN regs that I use for local NJ diving. I have a yoke reg that I take with me when I travel to the Caribbean.

I never worry about which connections are better or worse. I went to Buddy Divers in Bonaire a few years back with a DIN setup . Bad mistake. Major PITA finding tanks with slugs. Half of those could not be removed. It was no fun. (Yes, I know, I should've taken a yoke-din converter).

I have DIN regs that I use for local NJ diving. I have a yoke reg that I take with me when I travel to the Caribbean.

I never worry about which connections are better or worse. I went to Buddy Divers in Bonaire a few years back with a DIN setup . Bad mistake. Major PITA finding tanks with slugs. Half of those could not be removed. It was no fun. (Yes, I know, I should've taken a yoke-din converter).
You'd think those dive shops would keep adapters for sale or rent. They don't take up a lot of room and are probably pretty cheap to buy in bulk. Having them for rental would give them the chance to make a little bit more than just tank rental on folks that use their own gear. It's basically free money with no maintenance other than a quick rinse.

Betamax quality was better than VHS. Marketing of VHS won over Betamax. Kind of like Blu-Ray versus HD.

Having had DIN and Yoke, I think it became confusing when travelling to divesites, sometimes you get to site only to realize the reg is DIN but the tank is K and you just forgot to bring the DIN-K adaptor. A few years ago, I gave up and went all DIN. All DIN Regs and All DIN tanks I think is best. Then when travelling away without tanks, the DIN-K adaptor can come along.

If I go on vacation, I simply swap the DIN portion on my reg to yoke. Takes a total of 2 mins..

You could easily carry a couple "pro-valve" plugs and the allan key with you, and then you are all set. They are easier to carry than a din/yoke adapter and most of us end up with pile of them in the bottom of our dive box anyway. (Of course this only works of the rental tanks are convertible 'pro-valves')

You could easily carry a couple "pro-valve" plugs and the allan key with you, and then you are all set. They are easier to carry than a din/yoke adapter and most of us end up with pile of them in the bottom of our dive box anyway. (Of course this only works of the rental tanks are convertible 'pro-valves')

The problem is not finding a plug to install. (There were a few available in each tank room at BD.). The problem is removing the plug from a convertible valve after extended periods of SW use.

I prefer yoke. I have both. Travelling and rental divers in most of the Carib and NA will find yoke widely prevalent. In scubaboard the 2% are the majority.

N

I don't really understand this thread. I have DIN valves but always take a small Scubapro adapter with me to convert to International if required. Else get a DIN insert to convert to DIN if you have International. I have done both in the past. Not difficult.

Back
Top Bottom