Stop steering new divers in North America towards DIN regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not seen many vintage double hose regs in din so I assume yoke was all we had in the beginning. W hat is the history of this din upstart.

DIN was first introduced in the US by US Cavalero in 1977. I don't know what happen to them. DIN was still an unknown type of connection in the US until decades later.

In Germany and a few other northern European countries they used DIN (it was not called DIN back then) as far back as the 50's. I own Poseidon and Drager tanks from 1957 with the 5/8" threaded connection (now called DIN). BTW, the threads are not metric.

I started using DIN connection in the early 70's. I used to like it. I don't like it as much anymore. The threads wear too much under heavy use in salt water. I have had to replace too many valves over the years, due to wear or damage due to impact. I never had to replace a yoke valve.

The East Germans had the MIDI double hose in DIN, several Drager (West German) double hose were DIN, and some of the later French Spirotechnique Mistral came with DIN connections. There were probably a few others in northern Europe.

Last edited:
Yeah, you are clearly too smart for this board. Perhaps you can find somewhere else where all can be happy.

Hardly. My opinion is just that: an opinion. It's worth nothing more than any of the other opinions here. I'm just here to learn. I certainly don't intend to offend, I'm just not certain where the value of this discussion has gotten us after 14 pages of conjecture with no factual data.

Seen from the west side of the pond, the use of a special larger-size DIN fitting for Nitrox is like the new WMA file with DRM.
May well be. I've used neither, so I really can't comment on it.

We have smaller-sized threads on our club's O2 therapy bottle, though.

I am aware I am outside North America and I am also aware of the the prevalence of yoke Regs there and wherever American tourists are catered for. I honestly never thought that a DIN reg with a Yoke adapter posed any issues, it has not been my experience when diving with that configuration overseas. The connection has always been neat and secure and I have faced no issues other than some valves not matching up as well as others. This sometimes is more to do with the DIN inserts or "Pro Valve" inserts however. DIN gives more opportunity down the track ( I remember when all I wanted to do do in Diving was get through my OWC and an upcoming holiday ). I would still recommend DIN over yoke where the vast majority of the diving will be with yoke valves, BUT only if the regs being purchased were cold water, environmentally sealed high performance regs ( this would make them future proof ) If more basic regs I wouldn't offer an opinion.

Last edited:
Just me as a data point but I have had far more trouble with DIN valves and DIN regs and DIN adapters than ever had with a simple yoke system, valve or regulator. I do consider that DIN has a better profile for wreck and cave penetration and would and do (did) use them for that purpose. Since she who rules my life has become alarmingly possessive of me as of late (ever since I broke my leg) I am now forbidden from such therefore see no useful advantage to DIN over yoke.

One thing I have run into is that a few yoke regulators will not fit onto a DIN convertible valve.

N

One thing I have run into is that a few yoke regulators will not fit onto a DIN convertible valve.

I have run into that as well, the DIN convertible valve is wider than the older 3000# and some 3445# yokes. The ironic, if not funny, issue is that my 4000# service pressure Sherwood yoke will not fit on any DIN convertable valve I've found.

Bob

Just me as a data point but I have had far more trouble with DIN valves and DIN regs and DIN adapters than ever had with a simple yoke system, valve or regulator.
Curious as to what kind of trouble. I can see cross threading; other issues?

Really... really really??? we get 148 posts on DIN VS YOKE? You guys must have much time on your hands. Can we have another IMPERIAL VS METRIC discussion please... pretty please?

Or maybe a vanilla vs pistachio ice cream discussion.

PS: DIN all the way... but then again I'm crazy European... and tech/cave diver.

Curious as to what kind of trouble. I can see cross threading; other issues?

On the DIN convertibles, corrosion, stripping of the insert hex, leakage around the insert. Leaking around the collar of the regulator, corrosion of the threads of rental tanks scouring the regulator threads and leakage. Not to mention that there are two different standards. Oh and my new fav, DIN convertible valves being to large to slip a yoke reg over.

The point of this thread is not the alleged superiority of DIN but the bad advice of selling/recommending DIN regs for North American and Caribbean Basin traveling divers due to their limited prevalence and niche use. Tech bleed over again on the forum.

N

Back
Top Bottom