Storing Lithium Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a good source for the 18650 batteries. I bought my Panasonics from them. One thing about the LG batteries you link to is that they're unprotected. Most experts recommend protected batteries as you're less likely to damage them by overcharging or overdischarge. Also the unprotected batteries are a little shorter.

They make a protected version too... I choose the unprotected. I have the Xstar SP1 charger (needed for this battery) and a light that indicates the battery charge. I have had no problems. Excellent battery with great price.

In case you want to build a bigger Pack it may be wise to take some unprotected cells like the Sanyo UR18650FM in this shop and add a BMS circuit to the pack later on. For single cells only WITH build-in protection. Deep discharged Li-Ion cells may explode!!

If you are looking for high quality 18650 industry cells, look at Panasonic, Sony, Sanyo or Samsung and only take cells with Mangan (Mn) in their chemistry. Last thing important is the presence of a protection circuit. Then you can't be wrong-
nice side effect here - the printed capacity is correct with all these cells - avoid all from China, including Trustfire.

And if you what to take good care about your battery, read this article from the battery pope: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Good article...

Good article...

And best thing is - it works! So it may be a good idea to buy a diving light with more burntime than you need in most cases. Not to discharge the light too deep prolongs battery live!
And also interesting is the cut off voltage graph. With sacrificing 10-20% capacity by charging 0,1V lower, cycle life is four (!) times higher.

So it can be said, flat cycling is best for all Lithium rechargables.

And best thing is - it works! So it may be a good idea to buy a diving light with more burntime than you need in most cases. Not to discharge the light too deep prolongs battery live!
And also interesting is the cut off voltage graph. With sacrificing 10-20% capacity by charging 0,1V lower, cycle life is four (!) times higher.

So it can be said, flat cycling is best for all Lithium rechargables.

My Sony laptop has an option to charge to only 80% for prolonged battery life. But for the cheap 18650 cells it's not worth it. Just buy a couple more.

And I must say I've had good luck with Trustfires, though lately I bought some Panasonics and XTARs.

Back
Top Bottom