Storing partially used Sorb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike:
Just saying I can get 12 hours and 2 hours is too soon - makes no sense without consideration of the variables involved. 2 hours is not too soon if for example the next dive is a deep one.

If this is directed to me, I already said, that if I am doing a deep dive or a cave dive, I will change sorb accordingly, I didn't say this is a hard and fast rule.

I don't think we will see an accurate gauge on scrubber life other than your own experience within your own dive conditions. If I am wrong, too many people will take the gauge as gospel. I can see it now, "but the gauge said he still had XX hours of life" and the dead diver didn't think about the head ache he was experiencing or the other symptoms as he passed out and died.

Dennis

Edit to add:

OK, so it wasn't on this list that I defined my routine. You should always consider the dive you have planned and use the correct sorb for the dive, whether it is new or has hours on it. There, the obvious is stated. Sorry for any confusion.

Pez de Diablo:
If this is directed to me, I already said, that if I am doing a deep dive or a cave dive, I will change sorb accordingly, I didn't say this is a hard and fast rule.

Where did you say that??

Added:
Pez de Diablo:
OK, so it wasn't on this list that I defined my routine.

uhuh.
:icorolley

I just did 4 x 75 min dives on my Dolphin in 12 degree C water , over 2 days , didn't change the sorb at all and paid for it with a killer co2 headache 20 mins into last dive . So now I will change it all after 120 mins u/w. I leave the unit sealed up for up to 3 weeks without changing the sorb and it works fine

diverdave2:
I just did 4 x 75 min dives on my Dolphin in 12 degree C water , over 2 days , didn't change the sorb at all and paid for it with a killer co2 headache 20 mins into last dive . So now I will change it all after 120 mins u/w. I leave the unit sealed up for up to 3 weeks without changing the sorb and it works fine

DiverDave, Were you using DiveSorb, Sodasorb or other?

diverdave2:

You did 245 mins before you experienced any symptoms. I can understand you want to reduce your time, but why all the way to 120 mins?

You said your last dive was 75 mins. Was that what you planned or what you actually did? At the first sign of that headache I would have been heading skywards.

I was using sonfasorb , The headache , IMHO , was manageble , and I was with students , so I needed to complete the dives , as to reducing the BT to 120 -that was my question , if I did 245 mins and only say in the last 30 mins I got a co2 head spin , how low in others more learned opinion should i chance it . The max I will be doing on the Rb will be 25 mts with a 40 mix

diverdave2:
I was using sonfasorb , The headache , IMHO , was manageble , and I was with students , so I needed to complete the dives ,[snip] how low in others more learned opinion should i chance it

I dont think you should chance it all all if your with students!

peterbj7:
The first person to come up with a reliable way of measuring/predicting absorbent life will make a killing.

I could have worded that better, but I'm sure you get the drift.

Aheem, though I dont own one nor dive one yet - you should be able to minitor your scrubber by monitoring your exact O2 and diluent use. Since all metabolized O2 ends up as CO2 in the scrubber.

Fair worstcase would include the Diluent O2-Fraction in this regard.

Mol O2 + Mol Diluent*O2-Fraction = Total O2 metabolized.
If you have the saturation-level for a given scrubber then you have a pretty good guess. Then of course go on the safe side.

Nicolai - Did I make a killing ?

Hanssing:
Aheem, though I dont own one nor dive one yet - you should be able to minitor your scrubber by monitoring your exact O2 and diluent use. Since all metabolized O2 ends up as CO2 in the scrubber.

Fair worstcase would include the Diluent O2-Fraction in this regard.

Mol O2 + Mol Diluent*O2-Fraction = Total O2 metabolized.
If you have the saturation-level for a given scrubber then you have a pretty good guess. Then of course go on the safe side.

Nicolai - Did I make a killing ?

I wish it were that simple.

Hello Westwinds, I also store my unused sorb and when I do, I double plastic bag it after letting it dry out for a few minutes. Some put the scrubber back in the loop, which is fine, but I bag it first and wait a while to let the loop dry out. I would not put the scrubber right back in a wet loop. I've never had the need to store it for a long time, so I don't have any experience on that count. But it makes sense to me that as long as there is no exchange of air, the CO2 reaction would be suspended for quite a while. But there are optimal moisture levels the manufacurer strives for, hence my concern for storing it as close to the manufacterers specs which call for a low light, low humidity environment.
All manufacturers have shelf lives for their sorb, even if the containers stay closed and in optimal conditions. So, obviously the chemical reaction cannot be suspended indefinitely, or the elements become unbstable.
.-Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom