Storing partially used Sorb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez de Diablo:
<snip> Sorb is not cheap, nor is life. Waste not want not. Don't go overboard and change your sorb out after everydive, this is crazy.

With shipping, I paid (EXACTLY!) $895.00 for three 37-pound kegs of 4-8 mesh Sodasorb HP to be sent to San Christobal in the Galapagos, in preparation for my two week Sky Dancer trip. That works out to be $64.00 for every fill of my Mk 15.5 canister. So Pez de Diablo, I will agree with you, sorb can be VERY expensive.

Then I found out if I would have shipped it through Miami instead of mailed it, it would have cost pennies. I had no idea.

So how much does a keg of sorb cost where you are in Mexico?

teksimple:
With shipping, I paid (EXACTLY!) $895.00 for three 37-pound kegs of 4-8 mesh Sodasorb HP to be sent to San Christobal in the Galapagos, in preparation for my two week Sky Dancer trip. That works out to be $64.00 for every fill of my Mk 15.5 canister. So Pez de Diablo, I will agree with you, sorb can be VERY expensive.

Then I found out if I would have shipped it through Miami instead of mailed it, it would have cost pennies. I had no idea.

So how much does a keg of sorb cost where you are in Mexico?

To fill my Inspiration with Sofnalmine in Belize costs about $30.

There is always an argument about scrubber life going on somewhere. There are also people who have had bad experiences from running a scrubber way over the limits.

Excessive cost of a load of kitty litter is a valid reason for getting as much duration as one can SAFELY from each batch. As always, therein lies the problem. The question is always: "How long is too long?"

Unfortunately, there are no easy answers to that. As has been pointed out by Dr. Mike, having accurate tracking records is VERY important. And, as has been pointed out by Pez, pushing it to the very limit, which is extended by the warm water diving, will bring about a break-through and CO2 hit.

Caution is a valid thing to use in this case. It is, after all, a matter of your continued existence to be concerned about here! :11:

DrMike:
12 hours off an inspiration scrubber and you may never have to buy Softnolime ever again............ :death2:

I know what I can get. I know the max in warm water. I don't dive it to the max, but I don't go overboard and change my sorb every 2 hours like many were advocating.

Clearly with all the variable factors involved such as, exertion level, time on scrubber, water temp, fitness, physiology, sorb type, sorb quality variation etc. the only responsible thing to do is either a) accept a fixed max scrubber lifetime set of rules based on a set of generalisations (aka manufacturers recommendations), or b) quote other 'personal' rules whilst clearly stating the exact variables that relate to it/them.

Just saying I can get 12 hours and 2 hours is too soon - makes no sense without consideration of the variables involved. 2 hours is not too soon if for example the next dive is a deep one.

What the diver is doing (CO2 production) is more critical than water temp. You have to consider how the diver is exerting. If sat doing nothing on deco the scrubber usage is slow and a scrubber that's mostly used up may last a few more hours sat there doing nothing, however if he now starts swimming against a current a potentialy fatal breakthrough can come quickly.

The first person to come up with a reliable way of measuring/predicting absorbent life will make a killing.

I could have worded that better, but I'm sure you get the drift.

Very well said, Mike, I agree with you fully.

Peter, accurate and reliable CO2 monitoring is in the works and should be a step forward in safety.
Maybe even more so in combination with a temp based 'gauge' like APD has.

Back
Top Bottom