Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aww, what good news Jenny. So, did she snore? :giggle:

no.. but it was a deep restful sleep. You could tell by her sleep breathing pattern. I wasn't on her when they did the breathing count of 1! Yep. I do know how that happened though as I was on her for the previous few hours when that would be possible. That's some deep sleep! Adorable...

JoanieR and I went down last night. Awesome experience! I LOVED the look on Joanie's face as she was coming out of the water. Not the look of cramped hands or cold body, but a huge smile.
I made sure that all others who hadn't had the experience of helping the whales go first. When I finally got into the water, it couldn't come at a better time. It was late (we did the 12 -4 AM shift) and the body was starting its fight for sleep. Finally, I was told to come in and take the primary position on #300. The whale is learning to associate food with people, and every time somebody came in the water, she would start bobbing up and down. The later in the night it got, the more animated she was. When the shift changed at 4 AM or there abouts, she was really active. I had to put both hands on her pectoral to hold her back! She was swinging wildly and lunging! Whoo hoo!! Whale rodeo! I walked out of the water with a huge smile on my face. So good to see she is getting stronger and better!!!
So, the new crew is ready to come into the water and the volunteer opposite me in the primary position says "look! Fresh whale meat!!" :rofl3:

As Jenny said: Awesome. I'm not ready to articulate. I still need to process the whole experience. Words seem superfluous when your arms are cradling a whale.

Someone mentioned this will be going on for at least two more months. Ideally each whale needs 3-4 volunteers, for each four hour shift. I'm guessing as they get more active they will need more people to take turns. It gets really tiring!

If you have the slightest interest - GO!

Joanie

I was asked to post this "trip report" from FB to here, I did a 12 hr shift with the whales, 8-8.
Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A quick recap of what it's like helping the whales..
Was in bed and asleep by 8 last night. Going back down tonight for a single 12-4 AM shift tonight. Will be an all nighter again by the time you add in the driving. Hope to get on #301, the baby again. What a doll! Course, she is also prone to taking off at night, so you have to be on the ready. Don't let that deep sleep lull you into a false security that all is well.
#302 is the toughest to hold. She has a C curve. Her tail muscles aren't being used and it is starting to atrophy. It is very painful for her and with the curve, she will try to list to the one side. So the whole time you are either pushing or pulling, depending on which side you are on, to keep her dorsal fin centrally aligned. Your hands cramp up in about 15 minutes. The bottom that you stand on is not even or level, so you are constantly trying to get a good footing so you can get your thigh under her for her to rest on, and make it easier for you to pull/push. Each breath the whale takes, they dip their head down slightly. This will cause #302 to move a few inches in one direction, with you adjusting your footing. She is taking about 11 breaths per 5 minutes. The night I was down, they were doing some physical therapy on her peduncle.(I wasn't helping her at the time, I was one #300.) This is the large tail muscle between the dorsal fin and tail fluke. The peduncle on this gal is about 5ft. long. Two big strong staff members got in the water on either side of the tail and slowly moved the tail straight. They pushed and pulled on each other, using each for leverage. I can only imagine the pain, and relief the whale felt. The volunteers holding her must be whooped. Trying to hold steady a 1000 lb whale, keeping her blow hole above water and countering the push/pull from the backend while maintaining footing on the front end.. whow...

The Indian Valley Scuba group has been in town and working with the whales now for the past three days, and it is a truly inspiring experience to help out these large, intelligent mammals. We've worked with all three of the surviving animals, and each is unique in it's own special way. We recommend that anyone who can spare 4 hours or so to come and spend a shift working and helping out here.

On a related note, we also conducted a fundraiser and were successful enough to bring over $300 worth of badly needed supplies in to this all-volunteer organization - way to go team!

Article from Friday's news
Pilot whales still need 24-hour care from 'citizen nurses' | KeysNews.com

Pilot whales still need 24-hour care from 'citizen nurses'
BY CHERYL SMITH Citizen Staff

An actor from Fort Lauderdale. A BP worker from Miami. A newspaper editor from Key West.

The unlikely trio stands in chilly chest-deep water, six hands gripping the pectoral and dorsal fins of an 1,100-pound gentle giant -- a vague black form under murky water, barely lit by a partial moon and smattering of stars under a clear midnight sky.
Night's silence is broken only by the pilot whale's labored breathing and the hushed tones of strangers lamenting the poor animal's plight and getting acquainted under this unusual circumstance. [BOB CARE/The Associated Press]

Beside them, two more ordinary people hold on to a 600-pound orphan whale, whose clicks, chirps and whistles provide some amusement and muffled laughter in the quiet night. Beside them, a group of four people buoy a larger whale to keep its blowhole dry, as the whales are suffering from pneumonia and other ailments that render them unable to keep themselves upright.

Volunteers from all walks of life have been flocking to the nearshore sea pen at the Marine Mammal Conservancy in Key Largo since May 5, when 21 pilot whales stranded off Cudjoe Key. While most died, two were released on May 7, one was euthanized on May 13 and another on Wednesday.

Three weeks after the stranding, the rescue operation still needs as many volunteers as it can muster for the 24-hour vigil to save the three remaining whales, an effort that could last for months.

So far, the public's commitment to helping has not waned as time passes and people forget, said Robert Lingenfelser, stranding operations director.

"That usually happens, but it hasn't happened so far," he said. "We've been very fortunate."

Still, it's not uncommon that a full slate of 28 people will sign up for a four-hour shift, but only a dozen or fewer show up.

"It depends on the shift. On weekends, everybody comes and we have 50 to 70 percent show-ups," Lingenfelser said. "Volunteers are especially needed on those weekday and weeknight shifts; they're always the toughest to fill."

No experience is necessary. Anyone can don a wet suit and get in the water to buoy the whales.

Stranding network officials give thorough instructions and frequent but gentle corrections on the finer points of holding a whale.

Each shift is four hours, with volunteers coming and going from the water whenever necessary -- to eat, get warm, go to the bathroom or just give tired muscles a rest.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience," Lingenfelser said. "People get to be citizen scientists and nurses, and they get to help a marine mammal get healthy."

The nonprofit also needs cash donations to buy food and medicine for the whales, as well as food and drinks for the round-the-clock staff and volunteers. The one thing the conservancy does not need is more bottled water. "I think I've got enough for the next two weeks," Lingenfelser said.

Among the three surviving female whales, the orphan, dubbed 301, is doing the best, even swimming on her own in the pen. The condition of the weaning-age juvenile, known as 302, remained critical Thursday, while the teen, known as 300, was in guarded condition. Rescuers hope all three will survive.

"We're going to get there," Lingenfelser said optimistically.

If the orphan survives, the conservancy will announce to the marine mammal industry that it has an adoptable calf. She cannot be released because she was still dependent on her mother for life skills people cannot teach her.

The National Marine Fisheries Service will query the respondents about their facilities and plans for the calf, then the regional director will decide where to relocate her. The conservancy receives no payment, as that would be illegal.

If the other two whales survive, they will be released back into the wild near a pod of other marine mammals, preferably pilot whales.

To volunteer, call 305-451-4774 to sign up for a four-hour shift: midnight to 4 a.m., 4 a.m. to 8 a.m., 8 a.m. to noon, noon to 4 p.m., 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and 8 p.m. to midnight.

Pregnant women and people with suppressed immune systems or open wounds that could get infected should not volunteer.

The conservancy is at Mile Marker 102, bayside, at the end of the dirt road just north of the large concrete tower. Arrive at least 15 minutes early for a briefing.

Pack a bathing suit, towel, dry clothes, waterproof non-oil based sunscreen, food and water, a wet suit and booties -- they will be provided if you don't have your own -- and a T-shirt to cover a front-zipper wet suit.

Clip your nails as short as possible and do not wear jewelry or anything else that can scratch or rub the whales' skin raw.

For more instructions, go to Marine Mammal Conservancy.

csmith@keysnews.com

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

OTHER NEEDED DONATIONS

• Ink cartridges, black and tri-color (HP 60 for HP Photosmart C4640)

• Ziploc bags (snack, quart and gallon size)

• Waterproof stopwatches (and/or waterproof watches)

• Plastic organization, hanging file bins

• Plastic and folding chairs

• Juice/soda/Gatorade

• Bug spray

• Sunscreen (waterproof and non-oil based)

• Green and red glow sticks

• 70 percent isopropyl alcohol

• Scotch-Brite green scrub pads

• At least 14-inch-long zip ties

• Masking tape

• Plastic clipboards

• Light microscope

• Huge, heavy-duty trash bags

• Extra-fine Sharpie markers

• Wet suit hangers

• Kitchen timers

• Large laundry baskets

• Medium-size fire extinguishers

• Liquid body soap

• Cordless telephone (5.8GHz or higher)

• Paper plates, plastic silverware

• Povidone-iodine (scrub and solution)

Team Indian Valley Scuba will be back in the water with the whales tomorrow, making four straight days we have been able to have IVS volunteers helping this great cause. And our donations have now exceeded $500 - way to go team!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom