Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

401 had a lot of nicknames... Hoss, Seabiscuit, Meteorite and so one. It's hard to lose an animal you really worked for. Life sucks sometimes.

We had just arrived when the staff announced the decision to euthanize #401. Somber moments. The vet and staff let everybody know what was going one so there were no surprises. Very professionally run considering the hours and lack of sleep these guys have put in.

Kudos to all the staff who is coordinating this rescue effort on minimal sleep.

Was good to see a lot of people showing up with their hands full of stuff for the rescue. The list is much bigger than on the website. $$$ is always in short supply.
Please, if you can donate either in time or treasure, know your efforts are much appreciated.

401 had a lot of nicknames... Hoss, Seabiscuit, Meteorite and so one. It's hard to lose an animal you really worked for. Life sucks sometimes.

Shed a tear or two over this one. Actually when we had him he was either Eric or Cudgoe (my fave). And for whales, not only does life sometimes suck, it also sometimes blows.

Bidding him farewell and focusing on the rest. Let's put in what is needed to get the other four in shape so they can be released. See you guys at the site tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
I will be there tomorrow evening (4-8p shift) I've also spread the word amongst my non-diving friends, and have at least 1 person going with me tomorrow. I have started collecting some of the supplies requested on the website, will be doing some more shopping tomorrow before I head out and did a collection of $ at work as well. Looking forward to helping anyway I can and pretty sure I lined up some volunteers for next weekend as well.

Mselenaous - I hope you don't mind that I quoted your beautifully written post in my email to my coworkers to help me explain what I was asking for help with and why.

I look forward to meeting anyone that will be there tomorrow!

A big Thank You to all you volunteers on behalf of everyone who cannot assist these whales themselves!!

Good job.

My "trip" report

The day started on a somber note. #401, a male had to be euthanized. He was steadily getting worse as the pneumonia took a stronger hold. It was a tough decision, but one that was best for all. Because of that, those that were holding the other 4 were asked to stay until the procedure was finished. The staff was professional, yet took the time to tell us onlookers what was happening and what to expect.

Once #401 was gone, they brought the others forward and we switched out volunteers. I was assigned to #303, a young female. She is developing a C curve, her tail is curving to one side (left) and she tends to list to that side along with turning. There was I, on the right pectoral fin at the front gently pulling her towards me, another Jenny on the left, gently pushing her towards me, and Diago, behind me supporting the tail. Our job was to keep her blow hole above water. Easier said than done.

When she breathed, she would first dip down a little bit in front (I think maybe to help contract the lungs and push the air out?), blow out air, maybe rest a few seconds, then a huge inhale. Pause. Repeat in about 45 seconds. In the process she would lean a little to the left. We had a hold of her dorsal fin, but there was a lot of damage along the edge and we had to be careful. We also had to cover her with water right AFTER she breathed. Since she did not adhere to a human schedule, she would/could take a breath at any second and we could not risk water being rinsed over her going into the blow hole.

4 hours doesn't seem like a long time, but only after 20 minutes of my hand on the dorsal fin, it started to cramp. I had to keep moving it, or placing it on top of one of the other volunteer's hand. The pectoral was pressed against my leg for a long time, till I realized I might be making things worse with it rubbing on my wet suit, and I had to find a better position, but was not in such close contact. The closer you are, the better control you have. These mammals, for as sick as they are could easily take the three of us for a ride if they were so inclined.

We chit chatted with each other, keeping it low and quiet. We are in a hospital after all and the patients are very sick. Our gal did make some noises. Beautiful. She was a talker! Neat to watch the blowhole muscles move as she made her different sounds.

Late morning, vitals were taken, and the vet also used a portable ultrasound to check the stomach. Then came the blood samples, taken from the tail fluke, and if needed, injections. After all four were vet checked, then came another round of vet checks, using a tube inserted down the trachea. Finally feeding via tube.

The one on the far right (next to us) took frozen fish!!!! Joy joy!

My shift was up and a new batch of volunteers lined the waters edge eager to help. I stepped away, so grateful that I was able to help, yet wishing I could do more.

TheOnlyRae-- since you are collecting donations and supplies, may I suggest calling down there and seeing if anything is urgently needed? The reason I suggest this is because the website is sorely lacking all the items they have on the white board at the facility. Unfortunately I don't remember anything right off hand, or I would post them here.

TheOnlyRae-- since you are collecting donations and supplies, may I suggest calling down there and seeing if anything is urgently needed? The reason I suggest this is because the website is sorely lacking all the items they have on the white board at the facility. Unfortunately I don't remember anything right off hand, or I would post them here.

I did ask specifically, and I took notes. : ) I will try to call again tomorrow before I go shopping to see if anything has changed.

I already have some of the stuff that was requested, will be picking up more tomorrow and plan to leave $$ behind as well. The only thing I can't carry in my car is plastic chairs.

If anyone hears/sees anything, please post here and let us know!

Awesome Rae, the whales thank you. You will see. :)

a few more pics:
more SBer's helping out
IMG_0266.jpg
some donations
IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0267.jpg
wishlist
IMG_0265.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom