Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still planning to sign up for a graveyard shift over Mem Day weekend if they need me. I will call on Monday or Tuesday to sign up. My question is regarding food. What is easiest for the staff and volunteers? Make-your-own sandwiches? Big pan of pasta? Case of Red Bull? I want to bring something but want to make it as simple as possible for the MMC staff.

Wow that sucks that some one would have a negative experince like that. Somones passing wooden nickles though either the volountere didnt tell him or he decided to ignor them. I am always liable to lean twoards those that didnt get enough sleep making the error. I know what your thinking what about the signs that are clearly posted but lots of people just dont read signs. Sounds strange but unless instructed a member of my family is oblivious to signage. He will literaly not read the lables at the buffet you can ask him "hey whats that" "IDK looked good so I got some".

I really wish there were some good studies on emf as I am emf sensative my self but it even sounds like a notice from the office of nutty to me when somone gives "the field generated by emf is going to bother it speech". I do know about the studies with the whales and high frequency given off by subs and navy scanning that affect wild life but thats a far cry from what a video camera may give off. I get the better safe than sorry thinking though. Sounds like lack of sleep and lack of brains met in the worse possible way.

Ill make sure some not so often scuba boarders get a heads up on this so they can spread the word.

The guys a jerk. He didn't get his way and is now raising a stink. There are jerks everywhere. And his bellyaching is just taking precious resources away from the rescue effort.

I'm still planning to sign up for a graveyard shift over Mem Day weekend if they need me. I will call on Monday or Tuesday to sign up. My question is regarding food. What is easiest for the staff and volunteers? Make-your-own sandwiches? Big pan of pasta? Case of Red Bull? I want to bring something but want to make it as simple as possible for the MMC staff.

Sign up sooner than later. The weekends fill up fast. As far as food, bring what ever you like, and there is a jar for food donations too.

Sign up sooner than later. The weekends fill up fast. As far as food, bring what ever you like, and there is a jar for food donations too.

TY! Just called - they have the sheets through Mem weekend ready for volunteers. Signed up for the 12m-4am shift 5/27 Friday night into Saturday morning. No jewelry, no nail polish.

These people have a lot on their minds and it's THEIR turf. If you want to be the alpha dog and make the decisions: DON'T VOLUNTEER! This is not a petting zoo and they aren't there to babysit YOU. If you want to help: AWESOME. But be sure to follow their directions and do things their way. It's not your ball game and you don't get to make the rules.

It's easy to be an armchair quarterback or cyber coach. I didn't understand all the decisions that were made when I was there and that's OK. Making decisions and/or policy is way above my pay grade there. They ask me to do something and I will humbly follow their directions. If I don't like what I see, I'll walk away and find another ball game to play. However, you can bet that I will be volunteering more time once I get back in Key Largo.

TY! Just called - they have the sheets through Mem weekend ready for volunteers. Signed up for the 12m-4am shift 5/27 Friday night into Saturday morning. No jewelry, no nail polish.

you going solo? I may be interested in joining you if you don't mind...

I've been out of circulation for a while...so how're the girls?

Are you getting enough volunteers? When I was there last there was a line to get in the water...(that's a GOOD thing!), but how are nights and weekdays doing for coverage?

How're you guys doing for stuff - not just food and whatnot, but supplies?

Trying to free up my calendar and get back down...

....and am I the only whale-holder that dreams about them afterwards?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom