Strange Cozumel Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid I think you hit the nail on the head. What killed Cozumel for me is the lack of Latin American culture that killed my interest.Cozumel is really no different then visiting Southern California. There is no need to try and speak Spanish,no need to use pesos and for me not that interesting anymore.I spent almost all my trips in smaller Mexican owned hotels and drank in the back street cantinas over the years. I am done here and will not post again was just trying to say that Cozumel is one of the safest places you can visit and that I probably won't be back unless I get a great deal.

I'm looking for the town that has good diving and no Senor Frog or Hooters. Loreto?

But you don't have to GO to Senor Frog's or Hooters! Those are on the "front" road where all the touristy things are. You always have the option of going to the authentic Mexican restaurants and bars a few blocks back from the ocean. Cozumel CAN be a magical place!

But you don't have to GO to Senor Frog's or Hooters! Those are on the "front" road where all the touristy things are. You always have the option of going to the authentic Mexican restaurants and bars a few blocks back from the ocean. Cozumel CAN be a magical place!

I still like San Miguel and we'll probably never stop going to Cozumel, but I would like to experience some place that is not so Americanized. Also, just a couple of years ago it seemed like you only had to go one block from the ocean to get authentic.

#1 - El Moro
#2 - Los Otates
#3 - Casa Cuzamil
#4 - Benitos

There are many others...all within walking distance. Just get off the beaten path :)

Last edited:
Don't discount the factor of authorities and residents trying to downplay these issues and pretend if they aren't real.. an example would be your post. There was a bombing that killed tourists, there was very little response from the authorities, residents are saying "it's just a misunderstanding". I think the victims would disagree.

What bombing are you referring to, please? No one died in the ferry explosion. I recall there was an explosion in Cancun - I believe it was in the past 12 months, but I'm having trouble finding the article now - that was due to a propane leak. I believe that killed a couple of tourists. There was a tourist family of four that died in Akumal which was originally suspected to be carbon monoxide poisoning, but that's been ruled out and the cause is still under investigation, but terrorism isn't considered a factor.

When you say, "there was a bombing that killed tourists" and don't provide more details, this is exactly the kind of misinformation that I was referring to.

[Edit - add]
Thank you for retracting the statement that tourists died in a bombing in the Cozumel area.

Seeing some of the back and forth, it appears you're referring to the ferry bombing, which as I stated in my original post, is now considered to be a simple case of insurance fraud - cause an explosion, (try to) collect insurance. Your next door neighbor could do the same thing - and it's about as likely as it happening someplace you happen to be diving. I agree with Christi - your posting inaccurate information is irresponsible, and you make my original point for me - that one possible explanation for slowing of the local economy is people conflating events and making uninformed choices based on inaccurate information.

Can we return to the OP's observation that the Cozumel economy seems to be running a little slower? I presented what I described at the outset as hypotheses - I was trying to offer some possibilities for folks to consider. But as the great economist John Maynard Keynes said when asked what forces controlled economics, he replied, "Animal spirits!"

Last edited:
What bombing are you referring to, please? No one died in the ferry explosion. I recall there was an explosion in Cancun - I believe it was in the past 12 months, but I'm having trouble finding the article now - that was due to a propane leak. I believe that killed a couple of tourists. There was a tourist family of four that died in Akumal which was originally suspected to be carbon monoxide poisoning, but that's been ruled out and the cause is still under investigation, but terrorism isn't considered a factor.

When you say, "there was a bombing that killed tourists" and don't provide more details, this is exactly the kind of misinformation that I was referring to.

[Edit - add]
Thank you for retracting the statement that tourists died in a bombing in the Cozumel area.

Seeing some of the back and forth, it appears you're referring to the ferry bombing, which as I stated in my original post, is now considered to be a simple case of insurance fraud - cause an explosion, (try to) collect insurance. Your next door neighbor could do the same thing - and it's about as likely as it happening someplace you happen to be diving. I agree with Christi - your posting inaccurate information is irresponsible, and you make my original point for me - that one possible explanation for slowing of the local economy is people conflating events and making uninformed choices based on inaccurate information.

Can we return to the OP's observation that the Cozumel economy seems to be running a little slower? I presented what I described at the outset as hypotheses - I was trying to offer some possibilities for folks to consider. But as the great economist John Maynard Keynes said when asked what forces controlled economics, he replied, "Animal spirits!"
That is in fact the observation I was discussing. Perhaps your attempts to deny the bombing and attempted bombing caused you to miss that. I'll recap for you.

OP observed that there might be a slowdown in Coz. I offered one possibility I consider likely; that the lack of official response to the bombing could be part of the cause. You don't believe so, and that's fine. Unless you query each person who considered vacationing and Cozumel but didn't then nobody will ever know for sure why they went somewhere else.

Of course, it's also been claimed that the perceived slowdown is just a problem of perception and isn't real. Honestly, I hope this is the case - I don't want to see my favorite destination lose the businesses that I need when I go there to dive.

Okay I should of not read that headed to Cozumel next month but are only going from airport to Scuba Club Cozumel and back to airport

A trip to Cozumel without a trip to the east side would be almost as bad as not diving while there :poke:

That is in fact the observation I was discussing. Perhaps your attempts to deny the bombing and attempted bombing caused you to miss that. I'll recap for you.

OP observed that there might be a slowdown in Coz. I offered one possibility I consider likely; that the lack of official response to the bombing could be part of the cause. You don't believe so, and that's fine. Unless you query each person who considered vacationing and Cozumel but didn't then nobody will ever know for sure why they went somewhere else.

Of course, it's also been claimed that the perceived slowdown is just a problem of perception and isn't real. Honestly, I hope this is the case - I don't want to see my favorite destination lose the businesses that I need when I go there to dive.

Bombing? I was just there last month. There was no bombing. Cozumel was still booming, for better or worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom