Strange Cozumel Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't discount the factor of authorities and residents trying to downplay these issues and pretend if they aren't real.. an example would be your post. There was a bombing that killed tourists, there was very little response from the authorities, residents are saying "it's just a misunderstanding". I think the victims would disagree.

What bombing killed tourists?

What bombing killed tourists?
None, I made a mistake. It injured a bunch - according to the news. The point was that it doesn't help the situation when there is an incident and the folks physically close to the incident deny that it is a problem and therefore don't deal with the problem.

None, I made a mistake. It injured a bunch - according to the news. The point was that it doesn't help the situation when there is an incident and the folks physically close to the incident deny that it is a problem and therefore don't deal with the problem.

That kind of "mistake" is irresponsible.

First - NO bombing in Cozumel.
Second, NO ONE was killed.
Third, only ONE person was hospitalized overnight and released the following day. In total, 20 - 25 people sustained minor injuries.

Not downplaying it, but it blows my mind when people trust fake news over reality and first hand accounts - not just with this, but island happenings in general.

That kind of "mistake" is irresponsible.

First - NO bombing in Cozumel.
Second, NO ONE was killed.
Third, only ONE person was hospitalized overnight and released the following day. In total, 20 - 25 people sustained minor injuries.

Not downplaying it, but it blows my mind when people trust fake news over reality and first hand accounts - not just with this, but island
happenings in general.
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Rather than discussing how the situation will be (or was) dealt with, you seem to be downplaying it as if it was no big deal. That's the problem.

U.S. issues alert after tourist ferry explosion in Mexico

Maybe you missed it, but another operator in cozumel even posted a photo of an actual bomb on one of the ferry's. Pretty sure that photo is still in one of the threads on scubaboard.

As I understand it, there was a bomb that went off and at least one more that didn't.

Is it safe to go there? I think so, as I went in June and rode the ferry while I was there.

What should have happened? Statements from law enforcement, maybe Quintana roo government or the president of Mexico about how it was being dealt with. What happened? Silence, except from business owners trying to downplay the problem. It's no wonder there's a decline in tourism - that's my point.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Rather than discussing how the situation will be (or was) dealt with, you seem to be downplaying it as if it was no big deal. That's the problem.

U.S. issues alert after tourist ferry explosion in Mexico

Maybe you missed it, but another operator in cozumel even posted a photo of an actual bomb on one of the ferry's. Pretty sure that photo is still in one of the threads on scubaboard.

As I understand it, there was a bomb that went off and at least one more that didn't.

Is it safe to go there? I think so, as I went in June and rode the ferry while I was there.

What should have happened? Statements from law enforcement, maybe Quintana roo government or the president of Mexico about how it was being dealt with. What happened? Silence, except from business owners trying to downplay the problem. It's no wonder there's a decline in tourism - that's my point.

I am not downplaying it, just stating the actual facts - the other "bombs' were proven to be decoys in later articles as was discussed here. the investigation also revealed insurance fraud. What has been done about it? Barcos Caribe has been suspended by the government, they are not allowed to operate and haven't since the investigation. There is no cover up, no downplaying. Those of us who are business owners don't have time to be monitoring scubaboard or playing reporter everyday either. We are running businesses and many of your favorite operators here are now members of the watersports association (ANOAAT Cozumel) and doing many things behind the scenes to improve standards etc. here. I pop on here when I have a few extra minutes, but I am not monitoring here daily.

Actually, there is not a downturn in tourism. So far, we have not had a low season this year. Hotels are at high occupancy in fact Casa Mexicana and Bahia are at full capacity right now. I was at Hotel Cozumel today to pay for a guest reservation and the hotel is over 80% occupancy right now. Dive shops are busy, there is traffic, and when I am in Mega I see a lot of tourists as if it were high season.

We've all been talking about what a great "low season" it has been so far. Of course September and October may be low, that is normal and we expect and prepare for it.

As far as personal safety is concerned, I do not feel any less safe here than I do in the United States, in fact, I still feel safer here than in most places in the US. I am not worried for the safety of myself, my staff or my customers. Do I practice caution and situational awareness? Of course I do. I also do not put myself in dangerous situations or meddle with elements that are dangerous. Of course you can find trouble here if you're looking for it, but Cozumel is still a very safe place to visit and live.

Last edited:
Lorenzoid I think you hit the nail on the head. What killed Cozumel for me is the lack of Latin American culture that killed my interest.Cozumel is really no different then visiting Southern California. There is no need to try and speak Spanish,no need to use pesos and for me not that interesting anymore.I spent almost all my trips in smaller Mexican owned hotels and drank in the back street cantinas over the years. I am done here and will not post again was just trying to say that Cozumel is one of the safest places you can visit and that I probably won't be back unless I get a great deal.

To be honest I do spend much more time in the far Pacific. If you search carefully can usually find airfare out of NYC in the mid $400's. Not to far away one of my favorite places is Panama. Out of Santa Catalina off Coiba is world class and cheaper then Cozumel. Also Loreto Mexico in Baja is also world class and in the same price range of Cozumel. Not putting down Coz as I said I have been there over 60 plus times but as I have found there are more interesting places to see and dive in this world.

First, everyone is going to define "interesting" and "bang for the buck" differently. No one could say Cozumel is the best in those regards by everyone's definition. What Cozumel is, is a mainstream destination offering excellent diving that is economical and easy to get to.

To some, maybe that easy access makes it uninteresting. The places you listed are off the beaten path and a journey. Little Corn off Nicaragua is another one. Not everyone can get RT airfare to Asia for less than to Coz.

Asia and Indonesia are dirt cheap. I was in Philippines last March and couldn't believe how cheap everything was. We paid $100/day that included hotel, breakfast and lunch, and 4 dives with nitrox. It would be double in Coz.

And if you define bang for the buck as in cost per dive, one can do 4 or 5 dives per day with a Roatan AI package or Bonaire shore diving package and get a lower cost per dive than anything in Coz (assuming boat dives).

But Coz is so so easy. For me, a 2 hr direct flight versus a 20 hr 2-leg flight to Manila.

I just got back from Cozumel and I also noticed that many business still had not recovered or returned since the hurricane hit the island.
It was still a great week and hopefully the money I spent while I was there helps the local economy chug along.

To be honest I do spend much more time in the far Pacific. If you search carefully can usually find airfare out of NYC in the mid $400's. Not to far away one of my favorite places is Panama. Out of Santa Catalina off Coiba is world class and cheaper then Cozumel. Also Loreto Mexico in Baja is also world class and in the same price range of Cozumel. Not putting down Coz as I said I have been there over 60 plus times but as I have found there are more interesting places to see and dive in this world.

I would love to dive in Panama (the Caribbean side), but it's a bit of a pain to travel there. Airfares are way too high (not that CZM is normally cheap), but my biggest beef is flight times out of ATL. One flight a day on Delta gets in too late to fly out to Bocas del Toro and driving to the Caribbean side at night isn't all that appealing. Then, the morning flight leaves so early you need to be in Panama City the night before. That basically cancels two days of enjoyment and at least one day of diving. I loved our visit to Panama (no diving involved), but it's not very "easy".

With CZM, I could get in an twighlight and night dive on arrival and dive the day before leaving. It's just easier.

Now, I am too spoiled to take a $500 flight to the south pacific. I would love to go there, but being 6' 4" and traveling for 24+ hours each way in coach is not my cup of tea. Plus, I think taking two weeks off of work would let them realize they really don't need me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom