Strange water related sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my question really is are there really more cases of Naegleria fowleri popping up, or is it that we still have the same amount of cases but we're actually properly identifying them now?

if global warming really is a problem, and at the rate we're going in the amount of increase in cases, should we be worried in the near future? distant future? what can we do, will our children have fresh water to swim in? to dive? to drink?

how about spring water? bottled water? should we stop drinking bottled water just in case?

It's more likely tha twe are properly identifying them now. Infact, the articles linked (atleastone of them) said that the cases are usually mis-diagnosed until autopsy is performed. They were probably dead because of "Brain fever" before we found out about this amoeba.

Also, remember the hurricanes. We had one bad year and everyone said the world would go to hell in a handbasket the next year. It didn't. Still hasn't. Reversion to the mean: if it's bad one year, it HAS to be less bad another year :)

Also, global warming may or may not be a problem, as sooner or later, global cooling should kick in (reversion to the mean. Yes, we are doing some things that harm our planet somewhat, but probably not as much as we think. It'll probably be fine in the end as long as we don't go out of our way to hurt it. Global warming might not be a hoax, but I do think that if the earth warms up a degree or two, it will cool down a degree or two later.) As for "fresh water," I assume you mean water without things that kill you in it. The problem now is that freshwater has this ameoba in it :) We will always have freshwater, if we'll stop dropping trash into every sinkhole and river we find.

As for bottled water, you should stop drinking that regardless. Tap water has been chlorinated (which kills ameobas) and doesn't put plastic into landfills (if you recycle, then maybe you can keep using water bottles. Most people don't, I fear), the less trash we put back into the planet, the better, in my opinion :) Again, spring water should be completely safe, a good bit of bottled water comes from the florida aquafer, which is around 73 degrees F if i remember right (72, 73, some springs are 68...), too cold for the ameoba.

Obvious solution: swim in salt water! Infact, sushi should only be made from saltwater. Freshwater fish usually have too much bacteria and crap inside of themselves to be very safe to eat without cooking. Saltwater fish, on the other hand, make great sushi. (this is according to two very cute girls I am getting to know (trying to get to know one of them, but they are identical twins who live together, so I'm getting to know them both) who love sushi)

My parents sent me news clippings about it, they were concerned I'd go swimming in a lake or something. Not till winter! :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom